Listening skills: How do you learn to listen?

Double-entendre. 

Had a few experiences lately that together were a stark reminder of something known for a long time, because I lived it myself.  

In the beginning, or at any rate going back to about 1991, I was unable to hear any difference between different CD players and DACs. Even some amplifiers, they might not sound exactly the same but I was hard pressed to say why.  

This went on for a long time. Months. Many months. Like okay a year. Whatever. During which time I was driving around hitting all the Seattle/Portland area stores listening to everything I could find. About the only difference big enough to be sure of was receivers. They for sure are crap. But even there it was hard to say exactly in what way. Just the difference there was glaring enough it was obvious this is not the way to go. But that was about it.    

All during this time of course I was reading Stereophile and studying all the reviews and building up a vocabulary of audiophile terms. The problem, seen clearly as usual only in the rear view mirror, was not really being able to match up the terminology with what I was hearing. I had words, and sounds, but without meaning, having no real link or connection between them.  

One day after yet another frustrating trip to Definitive I came home and put on my XLO Test CD and was listening to the Michael Ruff track Poor Boy when it hit me, THIS IS THAT SOUND!!!  

What sound? Good question! The better high end gear is more full and round and liquid and less etched or grainy. Poor Boy is Sheffield, all tube, and so even though being played from CD through my grainy etched mid-fi the tubey magic came through enough to trigger the elusive connection. THIS is "that sound"!  

Once triggered, this realization grew and spread real fast. In no time at all it became easy to hear differences between all kinds of things. "No time at all" was probably months, but seemed like no time at all compared to how long I was going nowhere.  

What happened? There are a near infinite number of different sonic characteristics. Attack and decay, fundamental tone, harmonic, and timbre, those were a few of the early ones I was able to get a handle on- but the list goes on and on.  

Just to go by experience, reading reviews, and talking to other audiophiles it would seem most of us spend an awful lot of time concentrating real hard on our own little list of these terms. We have our personal audiophile checklist and dutifully run down the list. The list has its uses but no matter how extensive the list becomes it always remains a tiny little blip on the infinite list of all there is.  

So what brought this to mind is recently a couple guys, several in fact, heard some of the coolest most impressive stuff I know and said....meh. Not hearing it.  

This is not a case of they prefer something else. This is not hearing any difference whatsoever. At all. None. Nada. Zip.

Like me, back in the day, with CD.  

These are not noobs either. We're talking serious, seasoned, experienced audiophiles here.

I'm not even sure it comes down to what they are listening for. Like me in '91, hard to know what you're listening for until you know what you're listening for.  

Which comes first?
128x128millercarbon
Any of you "new" members from the last couple of years, if you have a problem with those of us that have been here for the last 20 or so years that are not pleased with a member cramming down our throat some evil stuff we supposedly have done, that’s tough luck.  You can always feel free to move on.

By the way, you "sensitive" ones, who don’t like controversy, funny how you managed to get geoffkait kicked off. He was truly a knowledgeable and interesting member and has not come close to being replaced.  Even though in the past we all had our differences, we never thought about or resorted to having a member "banned".  That takes a special type of weasel.
  • "... funny how you managed to get geoffkait kicked off."
More of a travesty than funny. Either way, I miss the guy. He was knowledgeable and funny. 

Frank
@millercarbon

Plus I often had the vague sense of some things begin better, but in a way that was more a feeling than anything that could be put into words.

That's very, very interesting to me. The vague experience that has portents which need to be somehow teased out, unpacked. It's not articulate or articulable at first but is very much *there.* Excellent!

Your comment about the AVR being so important at the beginning that you didn't really note the difference in speakers is a telling comment, to me. It indicates how focused you could listen even near the beginning of the journey you're describing.

So yeah, serious case of audiophilia nervosa. The cure it turns out is tubes and turntables. Well, sorta. There is a bit more to it.

LOL -- Good one! There has to be more to it, because those conversations about tubes can go on forever, also!

All I know is they said don't hear nuttin. My response was pretty much this thread: there are a lot of things people can hear that we haven't yet learned to hear.Thus the question: How do you do it? How do you learn to hear what you don't know how to hear??

Right -- that's where their ability to reflect and use language is crucial. It's why there must be more to this hobby than "It just gives pleasure" or "Thinking about it ruins it." But, we know, there are people who say this about life. This has been around a long time-- see Cyrenaics. [Wikipedia is good enough on this one.]

"The Cyrenaics were a hedonist Greek school of philosophy founded in the 4th century BC...[who] taught that the only intrinsic good is...positively enjoyable momentary sensations. Of these, physical ones are stronger than those of anticipation or memory....They thought that we can know with certainty only our immediate sense-experiences (for instance, that one is having a sweet sensation), but can know nothing about the nature of the objects that cause these sensations (for instance, that honey is sweet). They also denied that we can have knowledge of what the experiences of other people are like. All knowledge is immediate sensation....Feeling, therefore, is the only possible criterion of knowledge and of conduct. Our ways of being affected are alone knowable, thus the sole aim for everyone should be pleasure."

That boils down pretty easily to, "I don't need to know nothing, because I know what I like." Not my way of looking at things because actual experience has shown me that even sensation and pleasure themselves can deepen with the influence of knowledge and language. As long as the "knowing mind" relaxes and lets the "flow" of experience happen on its own terms later, it's all to the better.