Limiting a full range driver

My speakers, Reference 3A NEFES, have 2 full range 8" drivers. My question; is it better to limit the frequencies to 100 Hz and higher. My thinking is that the lower, sub 100 Hz signals interfere with the midrange too much with their larger cone movements. Or, is there no benefit to cutting out these frequencies?

koestner

Funny..I`ve been running my Revel F52`s full range with subs from the start.

I`ve just recently put the Revels closer to the front wall and put the switch in back to the 'Contour' setting and I`m liking what I hear.

The three 'bass' drivers are only 6.5" so this position is sounding cleaner to me.

I would just keep the low pass setting of the sub at it's lowest setting (many are 40 or 50hz) to keep it well out of the lower male vocal range, which typically starts around 80hz, but some basement dwellers can get near 60hz.    I would only attempt to limit the LF of the main speakers if this doesn't give a satisfactory blend. 

This is one of those it-may-or-may-not things. Even if you crossover the drivers at 100hz, they are still 8-inch drivers. The midrange performance should not change since the relationship between the radiating area and wavelength (frequency) is still the same. The bass performance is probably not at the expense of midrange and instead attributed to the driver's excursion remaining linear throughout the frequency range at realistic volume levels.

Wow, some very interesting posts here. Some are the opposite of others, but I want to thank everyone for their thoughtful and honest opinions. As is usually the case, I will have to try it to find out. Well, at least I have a lot of tinkering to look forward to.

It seems to me that you're running the Ref 3As full range without a sub.  Before you go adding filters and subs, have you experimented with moving the speakers around in the room to see if you can smooth out the tonal balance that way?