Large Advents (1974) woofer pops with deep bass.

I have taken the woofer out of cabinet and swapped it to the other speaker to se if it might be a problem with capacitor but it still did the same in other cabinet.  Seems to Pop on deep bass when cone is traveling out.  Can I repair this or should I replace the woofer?

vcheney

Showing 1 response by waytoomuchstuff

@vcheney 

Whatever elements that define the level of attachment you have to the Advents are valid ones, in my view.  Only you can place a value on them.

You probably have an "unhealthy" woofer there.  I like @dekay process for troubleshooting the woofer.  It's a no cost, zero risk method.  So, I think it's a good place to start.  You can also try gently pushing in on the woofer while in the cabinet and letting go.  The woofer should take a moment, or two, to move back to the starting position.  If not, there's a breach somewhere.

Repairing the woofers is a virtual rebuild where all things that move are replaced.  You'll essentially have a new woofer when you are done.  Magnet strenght may weaken over time.  I believe this has been the subject of debate for some time now, and I don't have a strong opinion either way. And, yes, you should do both woofers.  A) the other one is fatigued, and B) this is the only way they'll sound the same.

When this is completed you'll still be the proud owner of a fully functioning pair of 1971 Large Advents, as close to original as possible.

Good luck!