Krell k-300i vs Rega Osiris, integrated

This is a long shot, but I wonder if anyone has directly compared these two integrateds. The Krell operates primarily in class A. The Osiris, apparently not. I've heard the Krell and it has awesome power. I've never had the opportunity to hear the Osiris but people say it has unique qualities. I've been intrigued by the Osiris for years and I've come to realize that I will probably never hear it unless I buy it. 

rfprice

The KRELL K-300i, if it has the internal DAC is great for TV and Bluray via HDMI. The DAC itself is just OK for music but I loved the HDMI on those 2 sources. The video is supposed to get some benefit to on the ARC return. I do not know enough to say if that was true.

The streaming on the K-300i gives you the option of saving money on a DAC and streamer. You can improve upon both but that can be done slowly in the future. The K-300i can be a 1 box solution.

I ended up getting a higher end KRELL XD stereo amp because the KRELL K-300i was so good.

I have the OSIRIS: it is a unique animal that I would characterize as a refined AND muscular 56 lb. beast, that is a pure 2-channel thoroughbred leader without the ancillary add-ons crammed in.

This thing is a brick. It’s crafted from aluminum and . It cranks out 160W into 8 ohms, increasing to 250W into 4 ohms.

Each channel has its own dedicated custom-made toroid transformer and the quad of Sanken 200W output transistors per channel means this behemoth has no problems driving any kind of load.

It has a direct pass-through option for any HT enthusiasts.

https://audiofi.net/2012/08/rega-osiris-punching-heavy/

#yyzsantabarbara

I see in another thread that you have the Krell Duo 125 XD? What is your impression? Is it the same sound as the 300i, only "better"? This could be an option for me also if I could control it with my DAC volume. 

@rfprice I bought the 175XD to use with my RAAL SR1a headphones. The K-300i was so good with these headphones. I had an extra XLR output on my CODA 07x preamp that I wanted to get a stereo amp for my SR1a. I tried a lot of amps with the CODA and the SR1a. None were as good as the K-300i. When I tried the 175XD the sound was better on the SR1a than the K-300i. It was smoother, no fatigue compared to a tiny bit with the K-300i, incredibly relaxing even with these uber detailed headphones. The 175XD just took everything up a notch on the SR1a.

The 175XD was so impressive to me that I put it on my 2 channel speakers, a Thiel CS3.7 I find the sound very natural and non-fatiguing. It is such an enjoyable listen. I listen all day at home in my office.

A few days ago, I got a new dedicated headphone amp that kills the 175XD but it is not a fair fight. The 175XD is my amp for my office floor standers until I am in my grave.

The Benchmark LA4 preamp ($2500) is my fav with the 175XD. The CODA 07x is what I am using right now and it is also good.

Krell Duo 300 XD Like new Dealer Ad - US Audio Mart

BTW - if you like to run a DAC direct to amp. Try a Benchmark LA4 preamp with the DAC and see if it does not sound even better. It did in my situation. They have a 30-day home trial on this preamp. The chances of the LA4 being quieter than your DAC is almost 100%.

@akg_ca Thanks for this. I've read the reviews many times over. I love everything I'm seeing and hope to hear it someday. Let me know if you feel like the time has come to let it go.  😉

@yyzsantabarbara 

You're right, noise from the DAC is something to worry about. I'm trying to go smaller with the system, so I'd like to forgo a preamp. I know many people are having good luck with their DACs, but mine has a low voltage output, only 1.4 vrims.  I've only once been able to experiment with the DAC volume, by using the HT bypass through my integrated. The results were poor. The integrated sounded much much better through its own preamp section than the DAC output. 

Still, I can't help but be curious about the 125 XD. It's 25w less than the 300i, but it should be overall more sophisticated, no? 

@rfprice The 125XD was what I was thinking of getting at first because it was cheaper. However, I was able to do a trade-in for the 175XD. If I was able at the time, I would have bought the used 300XD that I linked to.

The number in front of the XD represents the number of watts. So, 125, 175, and 300 watts of Class A. Now this is the iBias Class A that I think sounds amazing.

My 175 sounds better than the 90 in my old K-300i integrated but that is really not an apple-to-apples comparison.

With regards to the DAC. I strongly suggest you try the LA4 preamp in front of your DAC (30-day trial). I am almost certain that it will be better than DAC direct to amp, even if your DAC had more power to drive an amp. The pre is small in size and the quality of sound compared to DAC direct was really easy to hear. This is especially true at low volume levels.

Post removed 

@yyzsantabarbara 

On the k-300i, did you ever test the XLR vs RCA inputs? Was their any difference in sound quality?

@rfprice I think I used my Sony tuner on the RCA and a few DACs on the XLR so not a comparable setup.

I sold my K-300i to buy the KRELL Duo 175XD. The guy who bought my K-300i is going to sell it. Send me a DM if you want to connect with him.