Klipsch RP-600M II

These speakers just received a glowing review by Herb Reichert in Stereophile, I'm wondering if anyone has heard them if so your thoughts and is there any better at the $649 price point.

johnto

Relatively speaking, RP 600M Mk I has certain limitations despite of rave reviews from HR. The high ends are bright, edgy and forward and the bass is a bit bloated. The unbalanced, overly presence of highs and lows covers up the midrange. Fatique sets in pretty easily after a short time period of listening. On contrary, Mk II is much improved. Tonal balance is right, although the treble is still on a forward side but not offensive. Bass is a bit lighter but also cleaner and, hence, Mk II may need a sub. for movie watching. I would say the Mk II is worth the increase in price IF you like that type of sound signature.

@lanx0003 

Relatively speaking, RP 600M Mk I has certain limitations despite of rave reviews from HR. The high ends are bright, edgy and forward and the bass is a bit bloated. The unbalanced, overly presence of highs and lows covers up the midrange. Fatique sets in pretty easily after a short time period of listening. On contrary, Mk II is much improved. Tonal balance is right, although the treble is still on a forward side but not offensive. Bass is a bit lighter but also cleaner and, hence, Mk II may need a sub. for movie watching. I would say the Mk II is worth the increase in price IF you like that type of sound signature.

It's almost as if someone at Klipsch watched Danny Ritchie's video for his upgrade kit for the MKI,

They literally corrected everything Danny found wrong with the MKI, for their MKII iteration.

The spec. on the two-way bookshelf speakers like Sierra 2 looks impressive (34hz-27khz) but be cautioned that, with a ribbon tweeter, its mid-range frequency response might be compromised.  Ascend is certainly doing a better job.  This similar limitation is shared by GoldenEar BRX.

Post removed 

They’ve received many good reviews...I found the Triangle Borea 03 and Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 to be equally as good but different, and also some Dali’s but don’t remember model......the Klipsch is regularly available as "open box" from authorized dealers for about $450 including shipping...and if it matters, most reviews seem to find the Klipsch much less sensitive/efficient than advertised...fortunately I found a pair of Salk Monitors at a great price and didn’t have to decide, though it’s a much more expensive speaker...

The Mark 1 Klipsch rp600m is very good enough if you know how to match it.I am playing them this morning they sound so close to my Diapason Adamantes.

i have these lil klipsches in a bedroom in our country home

they are ok for casual listening, they can get raspy when pushed but certainly have a lively sound, and are efficient, so one can use a smallish amp

I have not read a review about any speaker, at any cost, driven by any equipment, in any room, that didn’t garner criticism on the site. This is the reason I just stay put with what I have.

With many products, there is a ‘if you want to do it right, get so and so’, but not audio. There is always a wrinkle….

Power clean?

Power cable suit your system? 

Room treated?

Amp up to the task? Might sound better with tubes/solid state.

Vibration controlled? Spikes or springs? 

It all starts with the source, right? Or is it the room? Or clean power?

What phono preamp, that can get you in trouble if you have a mismatch.

Speaker positioning correct? Away from wall/ near the wall/ toe in? Stand height correct?

How about interconnects?

Are you using the right speaker cables? 

Is your chair up against the wall, it’s a no no.

Glasses on?

Ears clean?

Tv screen covered? Window treatments in place?

It’s all about synergy..

How in the world can you isolate any symptoms and say it’s the speaker? That concept goes against the overcomplicated nature of the hobby. 

@johnto  if the Klipsch are in your budget they are fine, unless you enjoy wringing your hands and splitting hairs. Get an inexpensive amp and relax.