Klipsch Jubilee & Klipschorn Experience

rankaudio

@ricevs " tweeter and mids ".....high frequencies and midrange. The Jubilee is a two way design, which I believe you understand. Paul always wanted a TOTL 2 way, and Roy took it to marketšŸ™‚. My best, MrD.

@ricevs wrote:

The Jubilee is time aligned in the electronic xover......so this is the only Klipsch done correctly

It is any horn speaker done correctly, and configured actively it is the way to go - fortunately an approach not exclusive to a Klipsch speaker.

no wonder the designer says he thinks the Jubilee is way, way better than anything before.....and you have the tweeter and mids coming from one place

Maintaining a point source from the lower mids on up is indeed the main takeaway. The Jubileeā€™s does so with the (re-branded?) Celestion Axi2050 without a crossover point in its region all the way up into the upper octave, though it does seem to need some attenuation up there. A coaxial, dual concentric diaphragm approach on the other hand from the likes of BMS (and, I guess, more a less copied by JBL for their version of it) would likely have a more (without needing attenuation) extended upper range with a smaller, dedicated diaphragm here, however necessitate a crossover point somewhere in the upper mids - while still being a point source. Then again the Axi2050 has the more extended, and less distorted lower range via its larger diaphragm meeting the bass horn, arguably the more important parameter in conjunction with the big K-402 horn, which is also more appropriately sized compared to its smaller Klipsch brethren.

Active config. for proper delay adjustment and better amp-driver control, larger horn size for more proper horn loading and directivity control, and maintaining a single point source in a vital frequency spectrum - thatā€™s certainly Klipsch doing right by following physics and common sense here, kudos. While I havenā€™t yet heard the Jubileeā€™s and canā€™t comment on their sound, I do find their solution with a ported/horn-loaded combo approach in the bass horn (in want for more extension) somewhat conspicuous. Ideally Iā€™d have gone with a classic front-loaded horn design (with the woofer mounted in a sealed chamber) and firing into as few, preferably only 90 degree bends as possible, while leaving the two lower octaves down to 20Hz to a dedicated pair of (tapped) horn subs. But then again that makes for more complexity and a less saleable package - decisions, and compromises.

My 1st home theater was a Klipsch Heritage 5.1 system back in 2000, with Klipschorns front, LaScalas rears, KLFC7 for centre, and Velodyne FSR18 subwoofer. All hooked up to a Marantz Reference SR18EX A/V Receiver and 5 MA700 mono blocks. All in a larger 2 bedroom apartment, the neighbors loved me.....šŸ˜

Klipschorns at low - med volume, ā€¦ok

Ā 

any louder and your teeth will break

Ā 

my audition years back, powered by Adcom: monos.Ā 
with mod squad and carver, it was better, less harsh

The sound from theĀ Jubilee's was horrible when I heard them at the 2022 Axpona show.Ā Klipsch did a terrible job on the demo for these at the show and didn't properly set these up. For you naysayers that say it was an audio show and everything sounds bad, there were MANY rooms at the show that sounded just fine so this isn't an excuse! I'm sure it's a good speaker but the average consumer will have nowhere near a big enough room for these. I hopeĀ Klipsch does a better job this year on their room. Axpona is in 2 weeks, and I'll be there.