KEF LS50 Meta

I am looking at buying a pair… Seem to be reviewed very well… Haven’t had a chance to listen to them yet… Do you consider these audiophile bookshelf speakers? Thanks!

johnnotkathi

For that price, run don’t walk!  But I agree with bdp24…they need a sub. I like REL but Rhyrhmix come highly recommended. Beware used subwoofers…they lead hard lives, and amp failure is common. 

I own a pair of the original LS-50s. The number one thing to understand is their use case. They are a nearfield monitor. If you sit more than a five or so feet from them the may sound small and lost. If you sit 3 feet from them, your are on their turf, and pretty exclusive turf that is. Simply, they are a world class speaker in every regard save low bass. The matching KEF RC-62 solves that issue, as will a REL T7. So if you have a small room, and want to listen seriously, you won't be disappointed, especially if you feed them from a good 100W/ch amp.

I had a pair and loved them. They sound big and clean. I liked them more than my buchardts (synergy pending). The kef are really well built and look awesome. And audiophile is a relative term. The kef punch well above thier price point.

Absolutely. I had a pair of the non-metas for years and they are excellent. I have graduated to the Reference One’s. You need a high current amp to drive them effectively, the earlier referenced NAD 375BEE was exactly what I had. Go for it.

The KEF LS50 Meta are great speakers in a smallish room with the KEF KC62 sub. I used them with the Benchmark AHB2 amp, CODA #8 amp, and KRELL Duo 175XD. They were all great combos.

I gave my LS50 Meta to my nephew and got the cheaper Magnepan LRS+ for $1000. The LS50 Meta is a bit better on the details but the LRS+ is a massive wall of sound and I think a better speaker.

Only issue with the LRS+ is that it is a lot harder to drive. So, you need a powerful amp. The AHB2 is not the best amp the LRS+.