Just listened to Focal Sopra 2 on Devialet 130Pro

A little spare time on a saturday afternoon, decided to go take a listen to the famous Sopra 2 from Focal at my nearest audio shop. With my girlfriend, who played candy crush on her phone during the whole listening session...yup she s not into audio at all...lol

The speakers were paired to a Devialet PRO 130. At first sight, impressed with the speakers finish and quality of craftsmanship.

About the sound... first time listen to Devialet all in one with the SAM thing, and having read a lot about it I was ready to be impressed. The verdict , clearly the electronic does not do the speakers justice...My home gear is much better than the Devialet...as it should be at 3 x the msrp of the Devialet.

So...disappointed by Devialet, maybe their top rig is much better, will have to try it in a near future.

About the Focal Sopra 2, well I left the shop not knowing if they were a step up from my Verity Audio Rienzi.( 10k in 2009) Would need to try them at home, or paired with some gear on par with what I own.
techno_dude
Glad you are enjoying them.  I would really like to try a pair in my room some day.
It is a Saturday afternoon. I am with my girlfriend. I KNOW she is not into audio at all, and not to mention, I am happy with my system at home. I feel, it would be selfish of me to drag her to a hifi shop, on an afternoon that we are together. Doing it anyway, I would think, maybe I am not so happy with my sound system at home. YMMV...Just a " life " perspective. Enjoy ! MrD.
Mrdecibel, we know what you speak of. We used to sell the Devialet and the gear was always impressive but in the long run felt that the sound was always lacking a degree of musicality that would draw you in.

We got rid of the Devialet and found the Micromega gear which offered a lot of the techincal capabilities of the Devialet but replaced the Devialet's hybrid amplifer with a pure Class A/B amplifier and boy was that gear so much more involving. Sure we missed the Devialet configurator but overall the Micromega was so much more involving.

What gear are you running with your Focals?

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ Micromega dealers
Focal Sopra 2 owner that loves them.  But I should as my past speakers were Thiels and I just did not know what I was missing.
@techno_dude the Expert 130 and Expert 140 Pro have less drive capability than the Expert 220 Pro and higher models, and Devialet improved the sound quality with the upgrade to Pro. So those are two things to consider with respect to what you heard. You can view the Focal Sopra No. 2 impedance and phase curves if you haven't seen them before.

That being said, the sound of the Devialet may simply not be what you're looking for. Personally, when I want to hear all the detail and subtlety as well as possible, I use Devialet. They are outstanding with a full orchestra.
If you own a Focal Sopra 2 you should also use the Iso Acoustics GA1 with them.

ozzy