JBL M2 Vs 4367

Any one that have compered the M2 to 4367?

It is hard to find amp to run M2 that is quiet with out selling my legs and arms :/

M2 has a power rating on 1200w at 8 ohm and 4367 300w with the same drivers are the x-over so mutch weaker in the passiv speaker? 

n_brio
Post removed 

@deep_333 --

Good advice.

@n_brio wrote:

M2 has a power rating on 1200w at 8 ohm and 4367 300w with the same drivers are the x-over so mutch weaker in the passiv speaker?

The 1,200 watts JBL M2 "rating" is really a reference to the Crown iTech5000HD power amplifier (with built-in DSP), that’s intended or certainly recommended in pairs for use with the M2’s actively, and which is power rated at 1,200W into 8 ohms.

The important takeaway here for using such powerful amplifiers in conjunction with the M2’s (who’s continuous power handling, like the 4367, is ~300W) is both for the reasons to maintain headroom as well as the nature of dynamic power delivery and handling. Also, their intended use professionally will necessitate higher SPL’s for longer durations, and so effortless delivery is paramount.

@n_brio wrote: "M2 has a power rating on 1200w at 8 ohm and 4367 300w with the same drivers are the x-over so much weaker in the passive speaker?"

My guess is that the active crossover for the M2 includes protection circuitry which makes it safe to power them with 1200 watts. For instance the woofer is probably protected from damaging over-excursion caused by high-power signals below the port tuning frequency.

And my guess is that 300 watts for the 4367 is a conservative rating, quite possibly based on the excursion limits of the woofer rather than on the thermal power handling of any of its components, including the crossover components.

Post removed 

It is hard to find amp to run M2 that is quiet with out selling my legs and arms :/

The JBL M2 is essentially a PA speaker priced higher for the glossier cabinet finish perhaps.

If the main goal is sonics, the Yamaha CZR12 (~2k/pair) or the Pioneer XY-122 (~4k/pair or lower) are really well engineered, incredible sounding speakers, for a lower price. The Pioneer XY series has some TAD hands in it, but without sky high TAD prices.

You should be easily able to find an amp for these without selling your arms and legs. Get any hifi-ish amp, 100W/channel @ 8 ohms, clean class AB. Try something like a Schiit Vidar.

P.S.

The minute you let audiophiles anywhere near speaker, price will go up. Some of these secret high performance speakers with affordable pricing stays with the Pro Audio guys. Just don’t tell too many audiophiles about it.

I have not heard the M2 but own the 4367…. So peanut gallery comments below. 

Since these speakers use the same drivers I think the biggest difference will be the dispersion pattern. The 4367 is a good bit narrower than the M2 due to horn pattern. The M2 will have more room interaction (soundstage) which could be good if your room supports good side wall reflection (symmetrical, enough distance to the walls). The M2 is also far more adjustable to taste.

If you don’t want subs the M2 will have deeper bass. I like the placement flexibility and shear power subs bring…. I realize many don’t want subs and the M2 would probably work better in that use case. 

personally the tonal balance of the 4367 which is a bit warm/rolled off but detailed and dynamic at the same time is just right for me. Any music style (good or poor recordings) at any volume level is fine. Looking at the measurements of both I would most likely add a -2db filter from 8k up on the M2. I personally hate fiddling with my audio and chose the 4367 for that reason. I do technical work and just want a “simple” system for music but I would guess better performance can be squeezed out of the M2 if you are will to do it. 

there is a very good deal for a new in the box pair right now. 

Measurements of both at Erin’s Audio Corner. 

I would look at alternatives to the M2's Crown amps if you already have M2's. The best I've heard of is using a Motu Ultralite MK V multichannel DAC/USB interface ($600), 4 channels of Hypex MP502 such as Buckeye Amps ($1200), and having Mitch Barnett (accuratesound.ca) at take your measurements and design FIR's using Audiolense ($600). The FIR's can then be run in Roon if you have it. No need at all for JBL's XO's implemented in the Crowns and sounds fantastic. Subs can (and should) be integrated too, which the Motu accommodates.