Is there a way to switch one set of speakers between two sound systems?

This may seem nutty at first, but it's been suggested as an unorthodox solution to a tricky configuration problem.  Before dismissing it out of hand, I thought it'd be worth asking for constructive feedback on Audiogon.

Is there any way to switch a single set of speakers between two different amplifiers without compromising sonics?  Switching would be done often, so the mechanism would have to be easy -- preferably with a remote or the twist of a dial or even done automatically by sensing input signals, and definitely not involving moving cables.

If this is confusing, here's a simplified example: A listening room contains two systems, one solid-state, one with tubed components.  A single stereo speaker system has only one set of inputs.  Is there any product or configuration method that would like the speakers to seamlessly reproduce signals generated by either system.  Since the two amps would never be playing simultaneously, the speakers might merely play any signal that reaches them, like MartinLogan subs, which  automatically play any signal received at any of their three inputs.

I understand that a “simple” 2-to-1 junction box would not be so simple in an audiophile environment, especially when routing amplified signals from components that might have greatly different output-stage characteristics. 

Any ideas?

cundare2

It's simple.

Just make a decision on which amp you prefer or buy a second set of speakers,

tony1954:  I think you forgot to put a "Yes, I'm just being silly" emoji at the end of your posting.

And you forgot to mention buying a new house as a third option.  ><Yes, I'm just being silly emoji>>

I use an older niles 4 speaker switch control ( they make a 6 and more) It is not powered. Just  passive switches, it has inputs for two amp/receivers so i can have two receivers going in and four sets of speakers coming out. i can send amp A to any or all of the four sets of speakers or the same with amp B. No electronic circuits are introduced to the signal. It adds nothing or takes away nothing.

just switches diverting the signal from one of two amps to one or all of four sets of speakers.

I am not at home so i cannot give you a model number and it seems the new ones only offer one input. i am sure with enough research it could be found.

The douk mentioned by jlamb is similar but powered. I would only use a  passive switch.

alaskaman: Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I solved my problem the hard way.  I've ordered an Ayre EX-8 integrated that includes all the functionality I'd need to switch between its internal amp and an alternate signal path.

And that's just icing.  I spent two months in excruciatingly deep research and couldn't find anything that competed with the Ayre box.  I'd initially considered the big names that come up here all the time -- Levinson, ARC, PrimaLuna, Luxman, Hegel -- but when you really dig into it, Ayre's products are right up there with the best of the $8-20K boxes when it comes to sonics.  And when you consider functionality and connectivity, only Hegel is in the same class.  So going with this $11K box was financially painful, but it seems to have solved every connectivity and compatibility problem I'd had.  Factor in the company's incredible support -- I actually had a chance to chat for 45 minutes with the chief designer -- and Ayre turned out to be an easy choice.  Too bad the Ayre name doesn't come up more frequently here.  The late founder Charlie Hansen was a brilliant guy -- imagine a 24lb 100+ wpc Class A/AB integrated loaded with every option imaginable, even an external clock output.and headphone amp & modular DAC that are actually competitive with separates.

OK, off my soapbox.  I'm in honeymoon mode now, so you'll have to forgive my enthusiasm.

Thanks for your suggestion, though.