Is low cost DAC worth it?

Been learning a lot from you fine folks... thanks!

I am driving Boston Acoustic Lynnfield 975 speakers with a Willsenton R8 amp (recent purchase to try it out) and streaming over wifi through Apple Airport Express. It sounds pretty good but I find myself wondering if adding a low cost DAC would improve the sound any?

Maybe something like the Cambridge DacMagic 100 or 200M?

My hearing is not that great anymore, so I don’t think it makes sense to jump on a DAC costing thousands, but I understand the Airport Express is a decent DAC, so not sure if a low cost one would make any difference?

tbick

If one is on a tight budget and interested in streaming, the item in the link, is winning favour and converts from individuals using similar devices costing quite a few times more than this one is offered at.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=wiim+pro&adgrpid=146341100320&hvadid=636989752258&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1007160&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=14431151773805452424&hvtargid=kwd-1730587281019&hydadcr=26772_2615892&tag=googhydr-21&ref=pd_sl_7rgn0pq0zr_e 

Hook the WiiM Pro up to the DAC as seen in the Link and there is something seemingly quite special to be had for, very very sensible monies parted with.

I hope the OP sees this as a suggestion as a viable option and worthy of their consideration.   

Well, take a cheap cost but well built Emotiva XDA-1 DAC from 2010, it has a discrete audio board (no op-amps), replace the extremely low quality power regulators with 5 Sparkos ($47 apiece), Panasonic power caps, remove the cover and make a plexiglass one and add a Synergistic Research purple fuse (1 amp not to blow) and you've got one $10K+ DAC.  Total parts cost under $1000 plus labor.

I also +1 the Schiit DAC. I use the Modi Multibit. Compared to the Dragonfly -- another inexpensive thing to try, it was a very noticeable upgrade, and well within your budget.There is a lot of internet chatter about the multibit vs. delta sigma, and Schiit says why they choose the multi. Have fun!

@navyachts How dare you bring up a less than a $100 DAC that receives tremendous rave? 😊 Someone playing god father here will be mad at you.
Post removed