Is Cary 306 SACD PRO an upgrade over Reimyo DAP777

Friends,
I currently own a Reimyo DAP777 DAC paired with a modded TEAC VRDS 10 as transport. I was planning to upgrade the transport to a newer Philips CD Pro2M based one (I cannot afford to buy Reimyo Transport). Just around this time, I have an offer on the Cary 306 SACD Pro Solid State CDP. I do not have the option of auditioning it. I do like the Warm, Rich and slight laidback presentation of Reimyo. I typically prefer a mid-hall presentation with layers of detail and clean dynamics.
While Reimyo does that, it also demands a high quality transport and digital cable all the while. I would be happy to get back to one box solution. This Cary player seems like a good option but some reviewers have mention that it has a upfront energetic presentation which may not be liked by all. This statement worries me. Sometimes when a player tries to be too energetic, it normally does not allow you to relax. I am not sure what this player is like.

I suppose both the Reimyo and the Cary are well known players so I hope to get some comparison and feedback from fellow inmates here. If it is a side wise upgrade then I am not really interested to change my existing source. Please suggest.
pani
Thanks for the info Dave.
I am not looking into SACD playback very seriously. I am mainly concentrating on Redbook. This is an interesting situation I am in. On one hand I have a good source playing in my room, on the other hand I have an option of buying another source which some people think is a "State of the art" machine. Reviews that I have come to read on the internet, all talk about how deep and tight is the bass of this CDP, great soundstaging etc..but no where have I read anyone saying it has an amazingly beautiful midrange or a very analogue like presentation in the body of the tones etc..
Typically, I have noticed that when these factors are there in a player, they are highlighted very strongly by the reviewer. For example, if you read a review of a Reimyo CDP or DAC, you would see a lot of praise for its midrange tonality and fluidity. This is just one example.

I did not read anything on these lines about the Cary, thats why I have finally opened this thread here to know what exactly a Cary sounds like. The word SOTA is very intriguing in this context though.

Frankly I dont want to gain some and lose some in this process of upgrade. If I have to do that I would rather listen to a player and know exactly what I am gaining and losing to make sure I would be a happier man finally.

Just to mention the partnering equipments in my chain:
Amp : Symphonic Line RG1 MK4
Preamp : Acoustic Portait PM1 Reference Tube preamp
Speakers: ATC SCM40
This setup has a very neutral yet musical presentation.

It all depends on the source on from here on what flavor you want in your room.
This is tough to answer given all the ancillary gear involved. I have a DAP-777 (Mark I) fed by a Theta Jade transport. I listen exclusively thru headphones (Sony MDR-R10) fed by a Ray Samuels Raptor tube amp. Listening thru headphones in this setup is like looking through a microscope. I love the incredible detail, but there is no loss of perspective or musicality. (However, the Sony cans are partly responsible, in that they create a very 3-D soundstage.)

I have heard the Cary 306 Pro and had similar thoughts about going to a one-box player. I heard the 306 into a Cary Cad 300 sei into my Sony headphones. I thought the detail was still there, but the presentation was more laid-back than my home set-up; I didn't find the 306 to be forward or aggressive at all. Bear in mind that I think the Cary amp is pretty laid-back. Thus, my opening remark about about all the confounding variables in this equation.

Read all the reviews you can find on the Cary CDP. If you get a good deal, go for it, and evaluate yourself. You can always resell it if it's not your cup of tea. (A long-term audition is usually much more truthful than a quick A/B anyway, in my experience).

One last point: If SACD is important to you, of course that factors in. Good luck.