impractical to spend $200 to terminate Mogami 3103 speaker cable??

As the thread title suggests, I'm thinking about Furutech locking banana's or spades to have my set of 3103 terminated. The models offered as available range from $168 for Furutech Spades, and then in to the lower-mid $200 range for Banana style with Gold or Rhodiums options. Cheers -Don
fjn04

Showing 1 response by erik_squires

I had bad experience with Furutech locking bananas with rhodium plating. 2 things happened:

1 - They diameter of the plugs were subtly but importantly undersized. Maybe 2 millimeters. This meant that on some speakers they  simply would never be tight enough. Focals in my case then.

2 - They permanently deform very easily.

Rhodium is honestly too hard a material. You want something soft that will allow it to bend to the shape of the mating metal. WBT’s locking bananas are far superior. They are noticeably tighter even when closed, and do not deform even after multiple insert/remove cycles.

I looked at the KLH plugs. I’m sorry but solder is not a good way to connect speaker cables to speakers. You want to use the crimp sleeves with a lot of pressure, and insert those into your WBT plugs or similar. The spring loaded spades or bananas are great.