Importance of a DAC's elements

Over the past week, I have devoted to myself to becoming knowledgeable about DACs -- and, having read literally hundreds of postings and articles, I am incredibly confused about the relative importance of the various elements of a DAC. Let me describe them as

1. Network streaming/rendering (i.e., providing, say, the stream from Tidal and delivering it to the DAC);

2. the DAC function itself (i.e., converting the digital data to an analog signal); and

3. the analog output (i.e., providing the analog signal to the preamp or power amplifier).

I have a decent handle on the relative merits of various engines (e.g., single-chip ESS devices, FPGAs, R2R ladders, ring, etc.) so I don't need feed back on that topic. However, let's take the "streamer/renderer". Is there any benefit from that function being a separate component versus being a board inside? What are the most important considerations in evaluating them? Currently, standalone streamer/renderers cost from under $2,000 to nearly $15,000. What do the higher priced units offer that the lower priced ones do not?

Also, I can appreciate that the analog output function of a DAC is extremely important in determining the quality of the outgoing analog signal. What makes one analog output better than another? What should I be looking for to ensure that this output doesn't undercut the quality of the conversion done by the DAC itself?

All insights will be appreciated.

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjmeyers

DACs have one function, to convert the digital streams of ones and zeros into analog sound. It is why they are called Digital to Analog Converter.

Streamers, renders, etc are sources , that get the digits from somewhere, and then feed it to a DAC. They may or may not contain the DAC within, much as a CD player combines a transport to read the digits and a DAC to turn it into sound.

The question the OP is posing is whether it is better to combine the source with the DAC.

Personally I favor keeping them separate. DACs have different philosophies (architectures) as to how to do their job, and the OP identifies a few. It’s easier to try different DACs and judge their differences if one keeps the source constant, and the same is true with judging differences in sources

@ danager

The Auralic streamers have the Amazon Music connections built into their Lightning software. I use it all the time.

I have a decent handle on the relative merits of various engines (e.g., single-chip ESS devices, FPGAs, R2R ladders, ring, etc.) so I don't need feed back on that topic. However, let's take the "streamer/renderer". Is there any benefit from that function being a separate component versus being a board inside?

just convenience, and form factor

What are the most important considerations in evaluating them?

quality of sound, ergonomics, flexibility of use (sources) and connectivity

Currently, standalone streamer/renderers cost from under $2,000 to nearly $15,000. What do the higher priced units offer that the lower priced ones do not?

usually (but not always) better in the above mentioned aspects

Also, I can appreciate that the analog output function of a DAC is extremely important in determining the quality of the outgoing analog signal. What makes one analog output better than another?

quality and thoughtfulness of implementation (design, parts quality, voicing)

What should I be looking for to ensure that this output doesn't undercut the quality of the conversion done by the DAC itself?

read reviews (formal and informal) to cull candidates, buy and try at some length, choose ultimately based on your own experience not what others say

Do not buy a DAC and streamer together get them separate, unless your starting out in the entry level. I know there are many decent streamer/DAC's but from my experience the DAC is always the week spot in the Streamer DAC's.

Second find a streamer you like the interface/app for that to me in one of the driving factors in streamer long term satisfaction. Sound quality is really minimum for streamers, I've had everything from PC, Nucleus, Chord to Aurender and there is not a huge difference if you have a good external DAC.