If Steely Dan had a different vocalist

they'd be Monkey House.

I cannot believe I'd not heard of this band until discovering them just today.

If you like Dan (and who doesn't, really!) and haven't heard of MH, check them out.

128x128audiodwebe

@baylinor 

"It's funny to hear Steely Dan and avant-garde in the same sentence."

Why?

When "Can't Buy a Thrill" came out, there was like nothing it and they continued to produce a unique blend of jazz, rock and funk until they disbanded.

Monkey House make pretty good music, but it is based around the song catalogue of another band. That is not a positive.

I have been hooked on SD since 1972, when Can't Buy a Thrill was released and have all of their catalog. Amazingly, I just bought CBAT as a used CD on e-bay, so their first album was the last added to my collection. They were without a doubt one of the most consistent producers of envelope-pushing music, with lyrics that painted sometimes outlandish pictures (like guys jumping off of buildings in Black Friday). I will definitely have to check out Monkey House, but no one will ever replace Steely Dan.

Great recommendation, thanks!

I listened to Monkey House and put them on my playlist. I’m not concerned with who they sound like or what they are considered. 

I prefer the Monkey House cover of the Walter Becker written and performed (Steely Dan version as well) song ‘Book of Liars’. But I like all versions… 

Hope you all have an awesome Friday night! My girl’s headed back to town tomorrow and we’re gonna play a little Backgammon and listen to some tunes.  

It’ll be more fun than a barrel of Monkey House.  

Just thought I’d share this song I recently found (although it’s almost 30 years old!!!) by Sonia Dada called “Lester’s Methadone Clinic” cause it’s a pretty cool song that to me has that elusive SD vibe/feel/groove and even some Dan-like lyrics.  Sounds better on Qobuz, but this gives you the idea anyway…

https://youtu.be/jhcjvbSh17s?si=_0FfssP2sj6nL9RG

Enjoy!