If A.I. took the place of musicians, would you listen to it?

A few questions which I'm curious about. If you have a take on this, please share!

Here's the question:

A.I. is increasingly playing a role in music creation. Not just assisting composers, but generating music.

If you found an A.I. generated song to be enjoyable, interesting, etc. would you have any objection to supporting it by listening and paying for the service which provides it?

If more and more music was like this, and there were fewer and fewer jobs for musicians, would that bother you? -- I'm thinking here about the aesthetics of the issue, not the economics or justice of it. 

I'm trying to understand if people just want to have a certain set of sensations from music and they don't care if there are human beings creating it -- or if it's important for you to know that what you're experiencing from music (or art) is coming from human beings.

Thank you for thinking about this.

128x128hilde45

@larsman. You are correct since I received yours in my email. Not blue print but black print seems to works fine as well. Good to know. 

Being a bassist myself, NO!!!! Let’s not forget that the A in AI stands for ARTIFICIAL which means it’s FAKE! Music is not just notes, chord progressions, and rhythms, it involves EMOTION and is one of the greatest creations of HUMAN BEINGS. AI doesn’t CREATE anything but ASSEMBLES based on an algorithm. The master bass virtuoso Anthony Jackson says it best: I WILL NOT ALLOW MYSELF BE OUTPLAYED BY MACHINES!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS-xDsic84Q

Humans have figured out how to adopt new technologies since the stone age.  

Will AI compose and produce a series of sounds with melody - sure.  Will it be compelling?  Highly doubtful without some human intervention.

I believe AI may allow a person who's not a master musician to create music that may connect with certain folks...kind of like the Sex Pistols :)

@bottomzone - AI will add variations and 'individual behavior', different every evening. AI can learn what is different in each performance and generate slight changes every time you listen, if you want it to. 'Emotions' are perfectly measurable.

Also, we will never learn if a musician used AI to create music. Or used AI and then played themselves. Or the other way around.

Swiss still make $$$ watches. Everyone else is wearing Apple.

A lot of popular music is made by producers and this has been true for a long time. There are drum machines, pitch correction, session musicians and music is stitched together with effects and loops and this has been true since disco and before. Additionally, corporations took over the radio programming in the 70s and dictated what music people would listen to and what wouldn’t be heard.

In my mind, popular music is already artificial which is why I rarely listen to any of it and haven’t since the mid-1970s. I mainly listen to independent musicians who write and play their own stuff which covers many genres. So AI is just another brick in the wall to bring back an old quote.