Ideas for low cost amplifiers with gain control

I have an idea to run two sets of speakers. One pair will be base oriented, and the other a smaller off-axis pair; both made by the same small, boutique maker. I plan to run them both full range. I anticipate a need to adjust the volume of each (or one) to dial-in the mix between the two pairs of speakers.

So, I am curious what low cost amplifiers that have gain control exist or are recommended.  So I will need two stereo amps. Looking for something low cost or moderate, in the $250 to $1,000 range each.

Because this is still a concept, I’m not able to answer a bunch of questions about set up, etc.… I’m simply looking for information about what options are out there.

Thanks.

gemoody

If this is just for a proof of concept:

1. Two cheap integrated amps. You can sit in the chair and tap volume controls to test

2. Get some older 5 channel hunk of iron like outlaw or emotiva and put a minidsp in front of it to control gain via laptop in the chair

Helpful responses. Thank you. The matching preamp to the Parasound A23 has high pass and low pass filters, providing even more control.

An old honkin 50 lb AVR from craigslist should facilitate your proof of concept for less than $100.

I second the used 50 lb AVR idea. A friend has an older upper-lineYamaha AVR from the Adventage series with the bi-amp option where he drives big Martin Logan electrostatic loudspeakers (Quests), a demanding load. And it sounds really good!