Ideas for low cost amplifiers with gain control

I have an idea to run two sets of speakers. One pair will be base oriented, and the other a smaller off-axis pair; both made by the same small, boutique maker. I plan to run them both full range. I anticipate a need to adjust the volume of each (or one) to dial-in the mix between the two pairs of speakers.

So, I am curious what low cost amplifiers that have gain control exist or are recommended.  So I will need two stereo amps. Looking for something low cost or moderate, in the $250 to $1,000 range each.

Because this is still a concept, I’m not able to answer a bunch of questions about set up, etc.… I’m simply looking for information about what options are out there.

Thanks.

gemoody

Well that's an interesting application. Parasound Halo A-series are good amps with input sensitivity / gain pots that would work well for your needs. Not sure if you have criteria for new versus used. Two used A23 would fit well within your budget. Or a used A21 (better amp) for the main pair and used A23 for the off-axis. Halos would be off the table if you want to buy only new. 

If this is just for a proof of concept:

1. Two cheap integrated amps. You can sit in the chair and tap volume controls to test

2. Get some older 5 channel hunk of iron like outlaw or emotiva and put a minidsp in front of it to control gain via laptop in the chair

Helpful responses. Thank you. The matching preamp to the Parasound A23 has high pass and low pass filters, providing even more control.