I need help regarding tube phono preamplifiers

To the Audiogon community. I am currently considering one of three possible all tube phono preamps to incorporate in my two channel system. The three phono stages are 1.Aesthetix Rhea phono preamp 2.Zesto Andros Deluxe II phono stage and 3. Vac Renaissance phono preamp. I will incorporate the stand alone phono preamp into my McIntosh C48 preamp and utilize a Clearaudio Performance DC turntable with a Clearaudio Universal tonearm and Kiseki Purple Heart phono cartridge. If anyone has experience to help me compare the differences between these phono stages I would greatly appreciate the input. Thanks.

andyhifiman

The Herron VTPH-2A is a special phono preamp.  I found nothing less than twice it's price that could compare, and to me it wasn't worth spending 10K+ to try and chase something that might be marginally better.  It totally changes the diminishing returns equation.

The problem will be finding one.  The rare times they do come up on the used market, they sell in a day or two max.  That alone should tell you something.

A VTPH-2A appeared on USAM a day or two ago at a price of $2900, and sold in a matter of hours. Guess whose it was? Hint: his location was listed as a city in northern Washington State. ;-)

I have owned an Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Aesthetix IO Signature and an ARC SP-10 mkll among others.  I currently use a Herron VTPH-2A.  I will preface my comments by stating that I think any of these could sound “the best” depending on ancillary equipment- System Synergy is really critical.  That said, I thought the IO had the largest soundstage and organic live quality that I like.  However, I just couldn’t keep it quiet with my .2mv cartridge.  So in came the Herron which was pretty close but dead quiet.  I then took a step that, I feel, puts the Herron on par and may even surpass the IO. In addition to tube rolling, I purchased a ZYX CPP-1 pre-preamp and then used the MM section of the Herron.  In my system, a hearty step forward on an already fine phono amp.

Per Mike recommendation, aka @mulveling I rolled some Mazda France production silver / Mica tubes into the front end of the Herron….it’s better but it’s no ARC Reference, nor should it be. Keith does an amazing job with the stock tubes. I hope he can find a way to license production to another respected audio firm so this great design and very well executed product can live on. 

Jim

@koetsu13 I certainly think that is an avenue worth exploring, the MM input on the Herron bypass the FET front end ( i will ask Keith ). One of my Winter projects is to tune up my venerable Roger Modjeski RM-4 pre preamp….might have to put that between Delos and Herron for grins….

thanks for lighting a fire

Best

Jim