I miss my Loudness Button and Tone Controls....

So I recently upgraded my system to a Rogue Audio Sphinx integrated amplifier, V2.

Prior to this purchase I was using a NAD C162 preamp, and an Emotive UA-200 amplifier.

After a month of listening, I have to say, I miss the tone controls and the loudness feature on the old NAD pre-amp, especially when listening at lower volumes. The Rogue amp sounds great when played at a minimum of 50% of its output, but at lower volumes, it just seems flat. I do use a sub (SVS SB-2000 pro, and I'm using a very efficient speaker (Zu Audio DW's).

I've toyed with the idea of buying an EQ of some sort that has a bypass so that I can boost some of the frequencies when listening at lower volumes, and then bypass when I listening at higher volumes.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone experience anything similar? I'm about to pack and sell the Rogue amp, as the cons outweigh the pros for me.

barkeyzee1

I’ve got tone controls on my McIntosh MA8900 and like them for things like rock and hip hop. For jazz and classical recordings, I typically turn it off. 

I have the Rogue Sphinx  and my suggestion is to make your next upgrade in An RME adi2 dac it works great with the Sphinx and has loudness, bass and treble plus a built-in equalizer if you get even more ambitious… And oh yeah it is a superb Digital to analog converter.

I have become a Schiit head as well. I love my Freya+ with nos tubes. And I have 2 Lokius EQ’S in 2 of by 4 systems—I love them! The best $300 each I have ever spent in a very expensive hobby.

Another option, would be to have a DAC with a nice set of DSP options; continuously variable loudness control using a recent, advanced algorithm, full range of user programable equalization or even user programmable room correction (not an algorithm, simple method of doing it by ear with frequency sweeps) and anything else a full featured DSP engine can provide..

The RME unit above, appears to be the value choice. Many folks report excellent sound quality and the nice set of DSP options are icing on the cake. I have not heard the RME.

At a completely different level of sound quality and, of course, price is the Weiss DAC501 which I own. It has all the features mentioned in my first paragraph, many useful remote controlled options including volume, balance and the very important feature of switching absolute polarity on the fly from your listening position (roughly half of all digital music is the wrong polarity which can be heard if you have good ears and a highly resolving system). One can also program up to twelve presets which can be switched remotely on the fly. For example a combination of loudness and equalization settings for quiet, late night listening based on your ears, room and speakers. Also a world class headphone amp with cross feed and factory equalization curves (currently only Audeze curves are included). Finally, direct connection to your network via wired ethernet (saves the purchase of a rendering computer wihich most DACs require externally).

For those who don't want to give up their uber expensive uber DACs, one can add all these DSP functions with a DSP501 (no DAC but everything else).

I, like many of the folks above, feel that loudness and equalization options done right will enhance any system.

For those of us with turntables, the Schiit products at the lower price range or the vacuum tube Manley Massive Passive for much more money (I'm saving for one) are excellent options.

The tide is turning. Congratulations to the OP and those that chimed in; you are at the forefront of a major shift in high end audio.

I thank you all for your detailed responses and recommendations, I'm elated that the topic inspired so many responses and expressed “love” for tone controls and the loudness feature.

There were quite a few responses that mentioned room treatment / optimal space design. Truth be told, my system is located in the family room, which is approximately 16’ x 24. Hard wood floors, big couch, recliners, etc. “It is what it is” until I can claim a room within my house to be used solely for the purpose of a listening room.

Sources: I’m either playing vinyl or streaming from Apple via my phone. When I’m streaming, I sometimes connect with a wired connection to take advantage of the lossless quality streaming, or if I’m listening from another room, I connect with Bluetooth via a Audioengine B1 adapter. The sound quality is pretty good from the Apple device, and I have started using some of the built in EQ functions that are present through the music settings.

I’ve found that the issues I’m experiencing are most noticeable when playing vinyl. Based on quite a few recommendations, I may purchase the Schiit Loki Mini, and install it between the turntable and the integrated amplifier and see if the results are favorable.

Lot’s of room for improvement.

Thank you everyone!
Rene