How old is too old for a Dac?

Been out of the loop for a good bit, and wondering how much things have changed in digital. In other words, how old is too old for a dac?
spoogemonkey
I do 90% of listening via itunes/Apple music, I recently bid on a Redgum (Australia) DAC, i read great reviews, it was designed to be a DAC for a CD transport and was about $2k back then, its from the early 2000’s. I did not expect to win but i did, total delivered was $300, so i figured id try it in comparison to my exdisting iFI iDAC nano USB. The Redgum DAC only has SPDF in so i needed a USB to SPDF converted, i got a cheapo on amazon for $30.

I spent some time A/B’ing at home and i was shocked at how superior this old technologically inferior DAC sounded compared to the iFi ($200 new), hardly apples to apples but the iFI is capable of far higher resolution where the Redgum caps out at Redbook (44.1/16 bit). In my research i found that the Redgum has 5 power supplies and its own internal re-clock, where as the iFI is powered by USB and has a built in volume control (meant for portable listening). While the iFI souded great and WAY better than my Macbook internal DAC, the Redgum blew it away. Even at 100% volume on the iFI the Redgum seems twice as loud but where it really shined was the separation of instruments in the mid-hi frequency range, the outlines of each instrument or voice was more well defined, the music just sounded more lifelike.

At some point when the big audio streaming services bump up their specs and catalog i may need to upgrade but at this point i am very please with the old DAC nobody wanted anymore.

If it was high quality in its day, you dont need higher than Redbook resolution and will only cost you a few hundred bucks, you may as well take a chance. you may be pleasantly surprised.

Rig:
Apple Music/iTunes
--> Signstek Audio USB to SPDF converter
--> Redgum RG5 ENR DAC
--> Rotel 985BX integrated
--> B&W CM9 S2
there is a fair amount of recent research into noise injection

I am not clear on whether the engineers think that an optical of WiFi connection solves those problems or not

I'd bet you could find a new DAC that sounds better than one from ~~8 years ago even on redbook... the problem is to find one
@ redmosessc

Interesting story. Glad you were able to take that risk and win big. And it really says something about old vs new tech. 
The Redgum sounding very good doesn’t surprise me.  Solid engineering principles are to a large degree timeless.  Well thought out robust power supply and  quality analog output stage are essential to obtain upper tier sound performance. 
Charles 
Great find redmosessc!  A lot of great older used DAcs available for one playing redbook cd files and owning a good USB/SPDIF converter. I currently own four non USB DACs and two converters.