How much gear do you own?

Do you have multiples of amps, preamps, speakers, cables, etc?

I do, and am starting to realize it's leaning hard toward a sickness rather than a passionate hobby.  Either that, or I'm getting up in age and tired of all the "stuff" I've acquired taking up so much space.

I went through a phase about ten years ago where I got tired of stereo gear and dumped most of it.  I really regretted it after a few years and acquired most (and then much more) back.

But this time it feels different somehow.  And I really think it has to do with my age...pushing 60.

Others go through this?

Thoughts?

128x128audiodwebe

Had enough equipment for three systems plus. Upgraded my speakers and realized the potential of my main system. So, this past month, I’ve sold a ton of gear, the proceeds of which will now go into my main system. In fact, I’d down to deciding on amps, then I’d like to think I’m done for awhile. Of course, picking up a new preamp this weekend, I heard a pair of Rockport Cygnus. Holy cow!  I have the sickness, don’t I?

I am now getting close to seventy. I upgraded before retiring… and was happily able to do my biggest upgrade a couple years ago after retirement. During this cycle I traded in stuff at each purchase. This had the advantage of giving my dealer discounts that would otherwise not been possible. Got rid of the extra turntable, $2K pairs of interconnects (3)… 2 B&W 800 subwoofers, etc. Yeah, it is starting to get to be the time of life to getting rid of all that stuff you will probably not use and clutters your life… and having a system or two that are the very best you have achieved.

I can’t tell you how great it is to sit down each day in front of the very best system I have heard… one that reflects my appreciation of music, one that actually looks amazing. It is really rewarding. One of the things the 75 hour weeks over the last fifty years has earned.

YES on Everything!  When Does it Stop!  then we Never want to part with Anything..

...but ultimately, you will part with All of it....we all get to.

Keep a running list of what you've got worth the trouble to provide a resale estimate for your former family.

At least you can finance your own wake....;)

'Bots don't know dead

yet

Most of my excess has has been culled by building dozens of systems for others over the years. It's easy enough. I've got systems spread over 4 states, Canada and Austria. In the end.......it's just stuff. Don't worry, I kept the really good stuff.