How do I switch from Wi-Fi to Ethernet cables?

My Bluesound Node currently receives Wi-Fi, but I'd like to switch to a direct link. I assume that would be with an ethernet cable from the modem to the Bluesound - with possibly a better switch between the two.

The problem is that my modem is in the basement and the Bluesound is on a different floor. There is not a clear path for running cable. 

Is there a piece of equipment or technology that I could help in this situation?

128x128imaninatural

@yage 

Banking is undoubtedly an important actvivity, but one doesn’t need ultra reliable digital information transferance to achieve it.  Correct perception of sound is a different process, where a few microseconds in timing can affect the architecture of the data read.

Wired is better, but it’s a matter of degree, not a night and day difference if one has optimized their WiFi setup

@panzrwagn +1

My two cents, as someone who has worked with Ethernet for almost 40 years, put in a good WiFi 6 mesh router setup, put a good network analyzer on your phone and learn how to assign WiFi to unused channels that give you good signal strength. That is the state of the art.

The Asus Ai Mesh system does exactly what you mention above regarding assigning signal strength.

@fredrik222 +1

You are also 100% correct songs are stored in a cache. To prove this if streaming music and someone sitting next to you watching video on an Ipad etc. asks "do you have an internet signal?" and 30 seconds to a minute later your media cuts out also. That is the cache dynamic in play.

The world is going wireless most new home builders are not even offering Eternet wiring on build playlist anymore because most don’t find value in it. In 5-10 years this will seem like a silly conversation. Most younger folks under 25 don’t even know what Lan is.

I can second the recommedation for using powerline ethernet adapters. I have one running from my modem to an adapter plugged into a wall socket. I have 5 streamers of various brands scattered about my house (including the garage) - each plugged into an adpater in a wall socket (even one plugged into a powerstrip). They all stream perfectly with no drops or lags in signal. 

Another poster mentioned TP Link. They are great and so are others. I've learned that you don't have to use the same brand. I use a mix of TP Link, Netgear and Tenda. 

Audiophile purists will likely say sumthin about noise from all the other things using electricity on your circuit. Maybe my ears are defective bcuz everyting sounds just fine to me. 

.... streaming from Qobuz, Tidal, and others are actually not streaming, they are download at maximum available speed, and then that song is stored in a cache ...

No, streaming really is streaming, it's not something else. Qobuz, Tidal, Spotify all use streaming protocols.

@cleeds You and fredrik222 are both correct...The term "Streaming" is a term we’ve all come to understand and accept as movies or audio distributed via the internet or satellite. However streaming in a truer sense is AM FM radio or analog TV. no caches etc. You hit the nail on the head by stating "Qobuz, Tidal, Spotify all use streaming protocols". To crumble up the differences between radio transmission and internet/sat transmission a perfect marketing tool was required hence "Streaming" and to go any deeper would make the average persons head explode to crumble up the differences,not only that the intellectual curiousity isn’t there in the first place.