How cheap can you go and still be happy with the sound?

I would think many guys on this forum are spoilt by the gear they have and never listen anymore on cheap rigs.

I was listening recently on my younger daughter’s PC audio rig and got reminded again of how good it sounds. There is a fairly high level of clarity, detail, tonal balance and great bass in this rig.

- Yamaha HS8 powered monitors: $700 to $800

- Yamaha WXC-50 MusicCast streamer+dac+preamp: $450, often found on A4L for around $300

- Audioquest Powerquest PQ3 (was around $200 or so)

IMO, this would qualify as a high quality (sonically) charity price hifi rig for any younger or older person w.r.t small room nearfield or midfield listening.

What is the cheapest rig that has brought you happiness these days?

deep_333

@gigabit, agreed on phase and phasing proper, which ought to be easy; one needs to ensure that any sub being run is in phase as well.  Any sub worth calling it one should have a switch to reverse such....

Tweeter heights should automatically be the same unless a disparate speaker array is underway.....odd to note, but I've not experienced everything in all circumstances, either...🤷‍♂️

The 1/4" distance comment is a bit daunting for any species to pull off, however.

My cats can do that, but I'm not so motionless.  I suspect I'm not alone at that, but can stand to be corrected....
If one has the cinderblock chair with a molded seat, back, and head restraint could make that work....straps optional, I hope....🤞

"The house is on fire!"

This Opus is nearly complete! I'll be outside in a moment!

Not-So-Famous Last Review/BBQ Division.....

Ive been upgrading my rigs over decades buying, selling for decades. From humble "hand me down" beginnings I have been through many different modestly priced set ups over the years, I enjoyed them. With each upgrade you realize the increase in performance, as your set up progresses in quality some upgrades have a bigger impact than others. There is a point of diminishing returns or a level at which upgrades do not make as big of an impact because you have reached a point of relatively good performance.

This point of "Good" performance will be different for each audiophiles journey but for me it came when i reached speaker performance of a certain level and that was a pair of old Ohm Walsh 2 (made in the 80's, I bought them in the 2010s) that i dropped off at Ohm to have restored. After hearing them at a friends house i knew i liked their overall character, Omni directional speakers are very life like. I ran my restored Walsh 2's with am inexpensive Denon home theater receiver and i was in heaven. After some time I ended up scoring an old Rotel Solid State integrated from the 90's and that when i hit "Good" performance, the veil was lifted, the bass was controlled the sound stage was wide and deep like ive never felt before in my own environment. Ive moved on from that set up but from that point each upgrade was enjoyable but did not have as big of am impact.

In short, you can have an enjoyable rig for less than $1,000 bucks.

Funny because I heard a blue tooth speaker that sounded  pretty freaking good and a pool party,.The thing only cost $37 bucks.

A couple of reviewers talking about high-end gear that sounded lousy and budget gear that sounded better.

All that glitters ain't gold

Got my sone a system:

Schiit Modi - $100

Sony Integrated Amp - $200

Pioneer SP BS22 Denis Murphy (I live near him) modded speakers - $165

Parts Express 10 in sealed sub. - $75 on sale

DIY high pass filter for the Pioneers wired into zip cord speaker cables - $10

The system is amazing for the $$ and really great on vocals.