How Big of a Difference?

Hello all,

I have near completed upgrading my system, but have left my speaker wire the same. My system is as follows- Laptop (Tidal) > Schiit Gumby Multibit > Freya S > Vidar monoblocks > speakers. My usb cable is Supra usb, and I am using xlr connections with amazon basics cables. If I am not mistaken, xlr is already super good at being noise resistance so I shouldn't need to spend more $ on fancy cables at my current level of audio equipment. My speaker wire is traditional 12 gauge wire I spliced from the spool. Nothing fancy. The reason I feel I shouldn't spend money on better speaker wire is because I traded the Supra usb for a super cheap usb and could not hear a difference. On top of that, I used to use single-ended connections using Chord C-line cables, and I could not tell the difference between those and cheap ones. What is everyone else's consensus? Can you guys hear a difference in your system? Thanks for the help.

oedstrom11

All I know for sure is that the specs which are rated in terms of “per foot” or “per meter”, seem to favour using monoblocks close to the speaker. So close that the speaker cables never get to the floor, always seems to work for me.

The only point in time where electrical energy does NOT flow is at that point in time when the voltage passes from the +ve cycle to the -ve cycle - the rest of the time there is energy transfer

I think that the input voltage needs to higher than the rail voltage (and maybe a diode drop of two extra… 

So it is like 10 degrees either side of the zero crossing where that voltage is not enough to flow into the power supply.

@holmz re:

All I know for sure is that the specs which are rated in terms of “per foot” or “per meter”, seem to favour using monoblocks close to the speaker.

That is certainly correct for cables that use more commonly adopted cable geometries and insulations

• because the amount of noise created within the cable itself is lowest when the speaker cables are short

However - with speaker cables that use cable geometries and insulations that mitigate noise - e.g.In-Akustik

• the length of a speaker cables becomes much less of an issue

Regards - Steve

Someone mentioned above, Canare 411S star quad wire. I have found that this is the best low price cable for the money! Buy the cable in bulk and buy good quality spades if they fit your system, or buy banana if you need too.

The best  high end speaker cable/interconnects for money is Analysis Plus.

I have been doing this for a long time and have a very good resolving system.

I always love the "your system is not resolving enough" commentary.  Frankly, any reasonably eared person should be able to detect differences on almost any system, resolving or not, IF there is a difference. It's the delta you should be able to detect, regardless of the quality of the starting point. The "resolving" comment to me is a defensive rationalization.

My usual response that statement is "or maybe your brain is not objective enough..."

I do not mean to attack those who responded in good faith, but I do want to point out to those who regularly post such statements that really they're putting themselves, and their fancy dandy systems, above other people.  It's a bit condescending. 

I always love the "your system is not resolving enough" commentary.  Frankly, any reasonably eared person should be able to detect differences on almost any system, resolving or not, IF there is a difference. It's the delta you should be able to detect, regardless of the quality of the starting point. The "resolving" comment to me is a defensive rationalization.

My usual response that statement is "or maybe your brain is not objective enough..."

I do not mean to attack those who responded in good faith, but I do want to point out to those who regularly post such statements that really they're putting themselves, and their fancy dandy systems, above other people.  It's a bit condescending. 

I would accept a measurement delta of the amp with the standard and magic power cord.
And also with interconnects.

Speaker cables carry more current, so maybe the is some magnetic field thing possible where the elevators move it away from a floor. But even then it would be much easier to believe something is happening in a measurement, than in a magic show.

if it is so profound, it should be easy to show it.