how big a speaker can you put in an 11 x 11 room?

the ceiling is 8 ft but a side wall has a 6ft opening to a 25 x 15 living room. the speakers would be in the 11 x 11 room. I like the Elipsas though the bass seems as though it may be too heavy in a room this size.....same for the Revel Salon2s.....i listen to jazz vinyl through Mac electronics.....
jedhartman
My floor standing omni OHMS, which have the better and more extended low end, in my 12X12 rooms do not have bass issues.

My Dynaudio monitors tend to be more sensitive in that area.

It seems to be less of an issue with the Walsh design from my experience.
01-29-09: Raquel
The other posters are way too polite - big speakers sound like shit in too-small rooms.

I guess the post I've written earlier isn't too polite either? :-
01-27-09: Ryder
A large speaker in a small room often sounds like crap most of the time.
this is why i love ag....good honest opinion (and fairly price highend audio/folks to buy stuff I dont use)...many sales people have been recommending many big speakers for this room. I have been an easy target as it's the only room in the house i can use a floorstander. I actually have a 20x20 room with 15 ft ceiling...but due to the built-ins in the room..and my wife..i cant use floorstanders so i have a pair peakconsult princess (just the monitor) with a REL sub which i love...so i was hoping that i could upgrade my virgos to a more lifelike, thicker sounding floorstander..obviously i have no intention of buying a speaker that will not perform well in this space..thanks for the advice....
as i said , the very first response, arro totem with storm sub...at 1100 for both on audiogon, no brainer, i tell you the arro in that room may not need a sub...you could add that later....750 for arro totem ,,,.yes....dwhitt
Search the forums for threads on speakers that work well when placed directly against the wall.