High end speakers at low volume

After having got accustomed to my new Vitus RI-101 mk II, I came to the conclusion that I need to improve my system's performance at low volume to enjoy music more.

Current sources: LinnLP12, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Nucleus. 
Speakers: Avalon Idea. 
Shunyata Delta NR V2 and Hemingway Indigo PC, Tara Labs Forté, TQ 2 Black diamond IC.

I am looking at replacing the Avalon Idea with speakers that could improve the low volume listening experience. I listen to 60 / 70db, I can afford to go up to 85db for very short time (neighbours).

I am also considering to purchase a Loki Max which I understood being quite a neutral EQ unit.

I have selected a few speakers which should match my musical taste based on what I have read:

- YG Carmel 2
- Wilson Sabrina X
- Vandersteen treo ct
- TAD ME1

I don't have the chance to listen to them except the TAD ME1 which I have enjoyed very much but not in my apartment.

Budget max $15k new or used.

I am looking for speakers sounding musical, with wide soundstage, not cold, detailed yet not analytical.

I mostly listen to classic rock, blues and jazz.

The system sits at the end of the long wall in a living room measuring 33x13ft, listening position 8ft from the speakers.

Unfortunately I have to face a tough WAF putting several limits:

- speakers must have a clean design, not black, not too hifi looking... and not too big
- distance from the wall behind the speakers 25cm

I don't mind changing amplifier if it will be necessary to match the next speakers.

I haven't found a preamp that I could consider a good candidate except a very expensive CSport featuring a loudness button which works very well (tested at Ana Mighty Sound).

I would much appreciate some advice from who knows well the above speakers or who had similar needs.

ricco275

Thanks all. It seems there are several people in here not believing in the high efficiency as a solution for better SQ at low volume, rather giving importance to tone control to enhance those frequencies not well audible at low volume. I’ve read a couple of old threads. I’m not un technically prepared to judge myself unless trying. 

anyway speaking of high efficiency the Zu Soul Supreme speakers look quite gorgeous .

https://www.stereophile.com/content/zu-audio-soul-supreme-loudspeaker

You need a dynamic speaker to sound good at low volume. I have only heard the Sabrina on your list. It is ok but low efficacy and probably nothing special at low volume. It was fine when I demoed it but I probably ran it around 90db for the demo. I am a Wilson fan but always passed at each price point. 

Honestly a good horn goes a long way at low volume. Big drivers and high efficiency that move a lot of air with little driver movement are the way I would go. 

After buying the JBL 4367 I am probably never going back to standard box speaker. They sound so much more real/live due to better dynamics. I mean a lot better dynamics and you don’t really give up anything to get it. they can go from warm to bright with their built in adjustments too. You might even get away with the 4349. There is a good deal on a pair of 4349s on audio mart right now. 

High efficiency does not equal sounds good at low volumes. Tone controls definitely not part of the equation. You want as pure and high quality signal as possible to excellent sounding speakers. The lower the noise floor of the system the less volume reqired. Putting tone controls in the equation raises the noise floor.

@james633 Wrote:

You need a dynamic speaker to sound good at low volume.

Honestly a good horn goes a long way at low volume. Big drivers and high efficiency that move a lot of air with little driver movement are the way I would go.

Agreed!

Mike