High end speakers at low volume

After having got accustomed to my new Vitus RI-101 mk II, I came to the conclusion that I need to improve my system's performance at low volume to enjoy music more.

Current sources: LinnLP12, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Nucleus. 
Speakers: Avalon Idea. 
Shunyata Delta NR V2 and Hemingway Indigo PC, Tara Labs Forté, TQ 2 Black diamond IC.

I am looking at replacing the Avalon Idea with speakers that could improve the low volume listening experience. I listen to 60 / 70db, I can afford to go up to 85db for very short time (neighbours).

I am also considering to purchase a Loki Max which I understood being quite a neutral EQ unit.

I have selected a few speakers which should match my musical taste based on what I have read:

- YG Carmel 2
- Wilson Sabrina X
- Vandersteen treo ct
- TAD ME1

I don't have the chance to listen to them except the TAD ME1 which I have enjoyed very much but not in my apartment.

Budget max $15k new or used.

I am looking for speakers sounding musical, with wide soundstage, not cold, detailed yet not analytical.

I mostly listen to classic rock, blues and jazz.

The system sits at the end of the long wall in a living room measuring 33x13ft, listening position 8ft from the speakers.

Unfortunately I have to face a tough WAF putting several limits:

- speakers must have a clean design, not black, not too hifi looking... and not too big
- distance from the wall behind the speakers 25cm

I don't mind changing amplifier if it will be necessary to match the next speakers.

I haven't found a preamp that I could consider a good candidate except a very expensive CSport featuring a loudness button which works very well (tested at Ana Mighty Sound).

I would much appreciate some advice from who knows well the above speakers or who had similar needs.

ricco275

Showing 33 responses by ricco275

@kokakolia lovely speakers! Don’t know exactly the pros and cons of the single driver speakers. Mind you I listen to rock music too.

@joey54 great to hear so! Unfortunately I can’t find anyone selling Vandersteen in France. 

@mijostyn uhm… not sure about their performance as preamp which is the most important element in the chain. What’s wrong with the Loki Max?

Thanks all. It seems there are several people in here not believing in the high efficiency as a solution for better SQ at low volume, rather giving importance to tone control to enhance those frequencies not well audible at low volume. I’ve read a couple of old threads. I’m not un technically prepared to judge myself unless trying. 

anyway speaking of high efficiency the Zu Soul Supreme speakers look quite gorgeous .

https://www.stereophile.com/content/zu-audio-soul-supreme-loudspeaker

@jackjohnson316 thanks I’ll check the Buchardt. Problem with Zu is that there’s no dealer in Europe and I should buy them without listening. Also I didn’t understand if working well with classic rock music.

@pscar glad to hear your feedback. First one to consider Sabrina X good at low volume perhaps !

@mijostyn these are great info! I believe tone control is key for low volume listening and I’m sure it will be more effective with high efficiency speakers. My Avalon are alright but not great in terms of details, clarity, imaging, sound stage. They sound nice and are forgiving. That’s why with the little McIntosh MA5300 I was very happy. When plugged to a much more demanding and resolving amp like the Vitus all the limitations came out. Maybe with one of the components you mentioned I could be fine with a pair of Sabrina X, but still doubting how much details they can express at low volume. And anyway whatever we add in the chain is a possible filter or source of noise. I’m intrigued by the Anthem as I know it is quite good as an amp per se. Or the Schiit Loki max as a pure EQ.

@mijostyn @musicaddict im fine investing in qualitative eq. im not convinced by components which are also preamp as they will affect the sound. As preamp I had in mind Viva and CAT or VAC as power amp. And definitely I’d like to keep my dac separated. That’s why the only option I could think of was Schiit, at least at my knowledge. And I would like some high end EQ that won’t jeopardise the whole chain with noise or other unpleasant additions.

@headphonedreams thanks I listened to the steinheim and while I liked them it wasn’t the same for my wife. Parker duo were on the list but I should travel hours to audition them. In one hour I’ll take her to see the TAD ME1 and hopefully she’ll like them. I will have someone making custom stands resembling the Parker duo stands. TAD stands are in fact far from appealing even though I imagine and hope very effective.

@mijostyn im very tempted. The only doubt is that I had some very good preamps in mind, without tone control of course.

Do you know how is the preamp section of the Anthem STR? I’ll use my external DAC. The STR is renowned to be a good amp. 

@grislybutter nice! Amongst those the Lakmé and the Parker duo are aesthetically tolerated as far as WAF is concerned.

The die is cast. I’m writing as listening to my new TAD ME1 in titanium finish.
Now will need to evaluate if the Vitus will stay or go and then fine tune with cables.

big improvement at low volume vs Avalon Idea.

@mijostyn I can’t find any release date for the DEQX pre4 and no price either. Do you have info about that? I’m looking at the Premate + as I don’t need active speakers treatment and my only digital component to plug in is the DAC. Is the premate + obsolete? Certainly will drop in price a lot on the second hand market once the pre4 is available to buy.

@kennyc indeed. I have asked help to identify what in users’ opinion sound good at low volume. Then it’s my to decide if sounding good for me too : )

@audphile1 interesting about class AB. I read many swearing by class A tube amps at low volume. And Pass XA25 is also recognised as a tremendous performer at low volume due to its short signal path.

we like it or not I think EQ or tone control is the only real solution. Humans simply can’t hear well certain frequencies below a certain volume level.

@mijostyn i see. I’m not going to wait 6 months. Between premate and Anthem? It seems Anthem preamp adds harshness to the sound. So Stereophile says at least

@mijostyn it was stereophile review of both preamp and power amp and they clearly state more than once the harshness comes from the preamp. I’m tempted to get it anyway. Point is I am at the limit of the harshness in my system. Otherwise I should go for the DEQX premate +. That’s my budget limit.

@mijostyn I’ll go Anthem and report back. Many thanks for the honest and knowledgeable advice.

I’m very happy with the Vitus. I many just need

to smoothen up things with the right cables. 

@celestial__sound agree. Tone control helps too I think. Do you have preamp and power with short signal path to recommend? Beside CAT SL1 and pass xa 25.

The advantage of the Anthem SRT vs Loki is a more complete digital room treatment comparable as a result to a pro listening room.

@lonemountain and what’s your take on digital room treatment such as in the Anthem preamp. I’d believe that’s a different story than ordinary DSP.

@phusis my need is exactly to have presets to play music at a specific range of db, between 60 and 70db. The Anthem preamplifier seems to be a good solution with good feedbacks from users.

@elliottbnewcombjr agree 100% that need to boost up frequencies if you want to enjoy - I repeat enjoy and not having a perfect curve - music at low volume. I just need to find the easiest and less invasive component in any sense. I think the Loki Max should be good even if analogue. The Anthem preamp may alter the sound signature of the chain more.

@scott828 I know the thread is not short and people may have missed it but I have purchased a pair of TAD ME1 as showroom demo in mint condition. I love love love them and they sound terrific with the Vitus and at low volume too. Of course they could sound better at low volume as stated above by many.

@elliottbnewcombjr the stands were part of the deal and they are very good. I had custom stands with my previous speakers which were made of so called anti resonance steel platforms and solid walnut legs. They were stunning and loved by my wife. Unfortunately they performed way less well than the TAD speaker stands. TAD speakers have a damping material between speakers and stand and the bottom base is made of iron and mdf. Just with spikes I don’t have almost any resonance, the suspended wooden flooring is almost not vibrating at all. I have planned to add Symposium platforms and roller blocks for enhanced performance. 

my wife is expecting me to swap the stands with something better looking, ideally with wooden legs. I doubt I would achieve the same level of performance with wooden or wooden plus steel stands unfortunately.