Help on diy cable construction

To start this thread, I'm not a believer in expensive cables, simple as that. This is not intended to be a debate about that one way or the other so I'll spare y'all on my opinions and appreciate it if you do the same. I simply want to make some attractive speaker cables and maybe a power cord for my amp. For speaker cables, I have quite a bit of 14/2 awg with thick, very flexible clear insulation. Think MC of old. I want to wrap it in attractive PET braided material using different colors for different runs. My amp uses banana plugs. My speakers take a spade connector. For the power cords, I'll use a colored 12/3 awg SJ type cord hacked either from an extension cord or made from a few feet from a spool of black 12/3 awg SJ. I'd probably PET sheathe the latter as well. 
Questions are:
- How to size the braided PET and what vendors?
- Good source for double banana plugs and single spades?
- How to terminate the PET at the connectors?
- Attractive looking male and female plugs for the power cords? Heavy duty but not homeowner replacements.
- What is the name of the type of female plug on most electronics today? Trapezoidal almost that fits in a recess. 
- And last, should I step up to 12/2 awg for the speaker wire?
Thanks for any constructive advice...in advance.
axspike
He's a lightweight compared to the action I've seen. Obviously privileged enough to have the money to spend on expensive equipment and the hearing to tell the difference. God bless him.

Thanks, but both were earned. The money and the hearing. The hard way.

One time drove 180 miles to prove expensive cables were a ripoff.

Time out. Might want to read that one again. I drove 180 miles to prove expensive cables were a ripoff. Maybe read it a few more times. Let it sink in. Got it? Good.

Corner Audio in Portland had the XLO device that would let you switch between two interconnects. Because I believed the talk I believed there was almost no difference and even if there is you can't remember long enough anyway and so I totally believed something like this was necessary. 

So I called and confirmed he had it but when I got there he said sorry it broke we sent it back but you are welcome to listen anyway. What a waste of time. I brought my patch cords and everything! But I was there. He offered me his cheapest IC, $75 something XLO I think. I went and listened. The system sounded really good with that in there. Then I went and switched them.

The instant the sound came on I spun around and leaped to turn the rig off. Because it sounded so bad I was sure I had messed something up and didn't want the owner to know. Double check everything. Damn. So that's how bad my IC really sounds then.

Don't want to get all mathy but I've done this about a bazillion times now. More systems, more cables, than you can count. 

All during the first several years this was going on I had this audio bud, another guy who like me had devoted whole years of his life to his stereo. Only this guy had a section of his basement that was a bona fide audio lab. Test bench strewn with parts and tools, scopes and meters. One thing about this guy, he was dead set convinced expensive cables were a ripoff. He could make better. He knew it. He'd been working 30 years on it. His whole system was wired with his DIY cables.

One day he calls me up all excited to show off his masterpiece. He had somehow gotten hold of some $7k interconnect, taken it apart, researched all the parts, built his version, and compared. They sounded exactly the same! There was no difference! They were the same! He had built a $7k IC! He was thrilled. I had to hear it. He wanted me to hear it. He wanted to hear it in my system. How soon can he come over???

When he shows up we listen to the $7k IC. And I'll be honest, it was good, but not for the money. I would not have bought it for $1k. If you want to talk about overpriced snake oil cables this would be Exhibit A. But it was what it was. A pretty good IC.

Then we put his in, and I wish I had a camera, the look on his face, all the review you need. Sound was flat, lifeless, gray, grainy, absolute crap. Night and day. No way anyone would buy this. No way you would even want it in your system. 

I went to my used cable drawer. Pulled out the oldest/cheapest Synergistic Research. Probably cost about $175, Kaleidoscope or something like that. I forget. Anyway its clearly better. We both agree. Not even close. And now the guy is totally crushed. 30 years, basement laboratory, piles of failed experiments, and now this, thrashed by something actually cost less than he spent on parts.

So you see, I really do mean it when I say its refreshing to hear you don't care if it sounds good as long as it looks good. At least you will never be crushed like my pal. If it doesn't look good you can always add more sparkles.

Lightweight. Right. Well we all have our little beliefs. Good bless.

Thanks to everyone...I've ordered what is needed to make the interconnects. I'm confident they will be just fine. Saved a lot of money and embarrassment... and they'll look great too. Thanks again to all. Be smart, stay safe. We'll get thru this.