Help me build out my first system

Hi All,

New Audiogon member here, been a lurker for some time; thanks for all the tremendous info! I’m in the process of building out my first system and am hoping for some recommendations on streamer/dac and preamp. A friend has been kind enough to set me up with a McCormack DNA-1 (not yet in my possession) and a pair of Focal/JM Labs Electra 926s from a client who wanted to upgrade. 

At this point I’m trying to put together two sets of options: First, which components might really make the setup sing, not worrying much about budget (without going too nuts). And second, assuming a budget around $3000-$4000, what’s the best I can do?

The setup will live in a 14’x24’ room, and I’m in the process of building some panels for appropriate room treatment. Tidal is currently my preferred source, but am open to change based on compatibility req’s or being convinced of a better alternative for this application. I’d also like to allow for incorporation of a new turntable down the road. 

Am I thinking about this the right way? Thanks for your thoughts 

kdammeyer

Why don't you call a reputable dealer and speak to them. Share your system goals and see what they can put togther on your budget. TMR, Holt Hill Audio, Upscale Audio amongst others get mentioned here on this site for a reason. They have knowledgeable staff that can help you on this journey. So depending on where you live, find a spot closest or, shipping isn't even a thing anymore so call them all. There's no substitute for in-shop auditions but for some, who don't readily have that option, this is a start. Lots of knowledgeable members here but traditionally they can only stand behind what they have direct experience with. Just my opinion, GL!

You might consider purchasing the book 'The Complete Guide to High End Audio' by Robert Harley. I believe it to be the single best book for a beginner getting into this hobby. Much info on the development of a vinyl system.

Regarding equipment purchase, my advise would be to be to purchase the Bluesound Streamer and spending the greater fraction of your budget towards a line level preamp. Since you are starting with quality amplification and speakers I would want a preamp to be on par with them. Once you have become acquainted with your system the Node can be upgraded with a purchase of a linear power supply and outboard DAC as funds become available (there are many threads herein regarding the Node). 

Since you are going to have two dedicated lines I would allocate one for amplifier, preamp, and vinyl needs. The other for digital components (again much on dedicated lines herein on this forum). 

Good luck with your quest. Please keep us posted as you advance.

Hey @Soix, in 2022 you had a post about the McCormick amp input board failing. Do you think this would affect the one he’s getting?

@pureclarity Yes, the DNA-1 is subject to the input board failing due to age and it’s basically fatal when it happens and requires a complete rebuild of the amp. This happened with my DNA-0.5 and there’s no telling how long it will last, but at some point it will fail. The OP can call SMcAudio (who designed/built the amp) for more info if desired.

Post removed