Headshell suggestion for my Pioneer PL600 (dir drive)?

I have (had) an Ortofon 2M Bronze whose needle has seen its last album. I was wanting to upgrade to a moving coil cartridge, Hana ML tops my list. My Ortofon is an all in 1 cartridge, so I am needing a headshell. Since this would be a cartridge upgrade for me, any suggestions for a headshell that would be a good match? Aluminum? Wood? Carbon fiber?

The turntable is plugged into my Gold Note PH10, so the low output cartridge wouldn't be an issue 

wvl

I have settled on 9gr - 10gr Magnesium.

If I were happy to go a little heavier the Audio Technica AT-LH13/OCC.

Produced from TechniHard which is AT’s version of a composite metal known as (Duralumin). Duralumin is known for the properties of managing transferred energies, it is sought for use in place of many other metal composites.

I am lead to believe the Anodised Coating is a Diamond Like Coating, that has improved properties, due the hardness on the surface for dissipating transferred energy.

The Signal Path is well thought out too, as it offers PC OCC Pins to be connected to.

Purchase some PC Triple C Tag Wires and the assembly in use, to support the Cart’s Mechanical and Electrical Interface is a good place to start, most likely a Keeper, when this Headshell Weight is usable.

Magnesium alloy LP Gear Zupreme at around $90. Avoid cheaper steel ones. The AT suggested above looks to have a very short body and will be a drag to connect. I would avoid carbon fiber and wood at this point.

If Magnesium is the material to be selected, and a little lighter weight is desirable the Audio Technica MS-9, MS-10 and MS-11 are able to be found for approx' 50-70% cheaper then the Zupreme.

All AT Models along with the Zupreme will offer Azimuth adjustment. 

I use TechniHard as a TT's Platter Mat and really like the sonic it produces.

It has creates the perception of a Tonal Richness, when compared to a Gum Metal Tenuto Mat.

"NOROMANCE: I would avoid carbon fiber and wood at this point."

Is that due to the sonics or cost (or some other reason)?

Again for Magnesium.

The AT MS-6 (6gr - No Azimuth Adj' ) AT MS-8 (8gr - Azimuth Adjustment )

I found that carbon fiber and wood add colorations—you don’t need the added complexity especially when trying a new cartridge. 

Is that due to the sonics or cost (or some other reason)?

So a light weight magnesium headshell with adjustable azimuth and does not require mounting only from below...

Features:

Open Sides of a headshell are MUCH easier to get the wires on/off/check them  for tightness if hum raises it's ugly head

Cartridges with threads, so screws go from the top into the cartridge body (no long screws and little nuts below) is wonderful IF a feature of a cartridge you want.

The joy of a removable Headshell is that the preparation for mounting the Cart' can be put in place that is less precarious than the same operation on a fixed Headshell.

Thankfully my turntable has a removable headshell. And the cartridge I am looking at is probably the Hana ML

Who woulda thunk that we’d ever come full circle from a disdain for detachable headshells to a preference for same? Where the respective rationales are polar opposites.

The headshell ought to match the cartridge, not the tonearm and certainly not the TT. I keep a variety of different types around, of different material composition and mass. Unlike Noromance, I do like carbon fiber, by Yamamoto and Oyaide. I have one made of wood, too, but I’ve yet to match it to a cartridge. You’ve got to experiment for yourself. Fortunately headshells are inexpensive, even good ones.

@lewm I regret sending my Yamamato carbon fiber one back. That way I could retest it and see how it rolled off my highs. It was great in the bass though.
I've always wanted to try this. Should have bought one when they were under $400 a few years ago.
Acoustical Systems Arche' Headshell – The Cable Company
11g - $1049!

Fortunately headshells are inexpensive, even good ones.

Arche is an outlier for cost and probably very heavy so mostly suitable for low compliance MCs. As you know, the vast majority of headshells can be had for less than $250, usually much less.

Sorry about your high frequencies. We’ve aired this disagreement before, so no need to rehash it. I find the best quality CF headshells to be very neutral, maybe because they’re relatively light and stiff, just like me. I don’t like CF in any other audio component, so there we agree.

I've been demonstrated on two different occasions, Panzerholz Headshells of two different designs on two different TA's, using the same TT>Cart in the same system.

Each TA substantially changed their sonic using the P'holz.

The Prototype TA, with a P'holz HS added in place of the earlier used HS material improved in way that is describable as night/day.

It won't be long before the awaited TA comparisons are to commence, I have been discussing the timeline for the opportunity to create this, earlier today with the TA's designer/builder.

I have some side ideas for this experience, that will be included in host of demo's  that will most likely be done across a few sessions.

As a side idea, and one already voiced, I will be able to experience two identical TA's (my own one and my friends), used on the Dual Arm TT that has been made for this period of demo's. Where one will have a Magnesium HS and the other a P'holz HS, with similar usage hours on the Identical Model Cart's to be mounted.

I recently became an owner of a P'holz HS that was produced for me, but due to packing the Vinyl Source away, have not used it in my own set up.  

@pindac Interesting. Looking forward to your findings. Stanley Engineering in Germany offer a Panzerholz headshell on Ebay which is tempting. I’ve heard that Panzerholz plinths can sound a little warm which is not my preference as I find that it can paint everything with the same color.

I have been demonstrated P'holz Plinths up to 32mm in thickness.

I have my own one at 25mm.

P'holz excels in Transparency not Colour, every use I have now encountered it used for,  it gathers the presentation enabling improved resolution and showing details, dynamics and a note/vocal envelope, that is robbed of the presence through the use of other materials.

My Case for my Pre-Amp that is being built is being produced from Permali.

The SS Phon' I am in discussion about at the present will also have a Permali case.

I have really come to like the perception of transparency that can be produced  through creating mechanical interfaces with P'holz.

The use of it has superseded many of my other other set ups, and I feel confident when the system is up and running, the use of the Densified Woods will be extended further.

I can return to perceived colour at any time, as I have a selection of tricks learned over the passed years working with structures and audio devices to add a hue or dab of colour when it is desired, Blues listened to without Colour is not the Blues I learned to love.