Have you noticed as your system improves?

I have been working on making improvements to my system since 2021. (I got away from it for 10 years so the rig sat silent all that time and aged out) I have replaced my speakers twice in 2021 and 2024, my DAC, DDC, All the cables, speaker wire and PC’s. I added a streamer and ALSO the preamp/dsp processor is new. Just got a new amp in May. I have made upgrades to my wired internet access with switches, LPS and better cabling and Enos filter. I have an Audience Front Row Reserve USB cable on the way to complete that signal chain. The only thing not new is my CEC CD transport, it still works and sounds great. I have put a great deal of time and effort into my room acoustic treatments too.

So here’s the thing, and it’s been consistent once it all got settled and broken in. I don’t listen as loud as I did before all this or along the way. Not because it sounds worse but because it’s not necessary to hear deep into the recordings anymore. The resolution, PRAT, detail, soundstage is all there, and its really good. It’s a collective level of enhancements to achieve this. I want to preserve what hearing I have left, yet I am enjoying the music much more now, it simply just sounds better with out all the volume required before to hear what was going on. I used to have to turn it up to get it to sound good. Not anymore. Has this happed to you too?

128x128fthompson251

While reading these posts I wanted to mention that I believe speakers have improved over the years and don't need to be driven so hard to get good results. aewarren beat me to the point. 

Occasionally I like to listen loudly to certain pieces.  It adds another dimension to the presentation.  That being said, loudly for me is peak decibels of 90-95.  Mostly I listen at 75-80 and hear everything just fine.  I want to preserve my hearing for as long as I can so I never lose the love of this wonderful hobby.

I also probably listen less loud typically as time goes on, but with my system so improved over the years, loud sounds better than ever before...

Absolutely, 75 db is pretty much my peak. No need for much more than that once you get your system and room acoustics just right.

I have generally noticed that my listening volumes have receeded as I have upgraded my system. But in all honesty if I have the need to listen to The Who Live at Leeds it never going to be loud enough...