Have you noticed as your system improves?

I have been working on making improvements to my system since 2021. (I got away from it for 10 years so the rig sat silent all that time and aged out) I have replaced my speakers twice in 2021 and 2024, my DAC, DDC, All the cables, speaker wire and PC’s. I added a streamer and ALSO the preamp/dsp processor is new. Just got a new amp in May. I have made upgrades to my wired internet access with switches, LPS and better cabling and Enos filter. I have an Audience Front Row Reserve USB cable on the way to complete that signal chain. The only thing not new is my CEC CD transport, it still works and sounds great. I have put a great deal of time and effort into my room acoustic treatments too.

So here’s the thing, and it’s been consistent once it all got settled and broken in. I don’t listen as loud as I did before all this or along the way. Not because it sounds worse but because it’s not necessary to hear deep into the recordings anymore. The resolution, PRAT, detail, soundstage is all there, and its really good. It’s a collective level of enhancements to achieve this. I want to preserve what hearing I have left, yet I am enjoying the music much more now, it simply just sounds better with out all the volume required before to hear what was going on. I used to have to turn it up to get it to sound good. Not anymore. Has this happed to you too?

128x128fthompson251

Sitting here at 12:30am listening at about 45db so my neighbors don’t hate me and I can hear all the details of the songs I’m listening to.  Sometimes I even hear new things pop out of songs I’ve listened to many times listening at lower volumes late at night.  It is better around 60db-70db but I can’t turn it up that loud late at night.  I rarely listen louder than that as I listen more or less near field since I have a smaller listening space.   My speakers really open up around that loudness as well and I don’t find the need to turn it up to hear more.

For me it's just the opposite. My system sounds so good loud and most of the music I play now is so dynamic, the extra volume is tangible. My average is 90-100db. I am 60 and work in a plywood mill and have my hearing checked every 4 months and so far, so good.

Last night I went on an Allman Brothers jag.  Have seen them many times.  Starting out gently and choosing tracks to get progressively louder.  By the time I got to Live at the Fillmore I just wanted to really crank it.  Had been listening in the 75-80db range.  In Memory of Elizabeth Reed caused me give it more juice.  When I looked at the db meter on the iphone it was 85-95db.  That is exactly how I remember them playing it. Nice to have a full range system!  And I still haven't got any of the Pass amps out of class A operation.

To answer the OPs question, yes I enjoy listening softly as well.  Back in the day many receivers had "loudness" switches.  Now with an external x-over and tri-amped I can play that game for low level listening just better. 

Regards,

barts 

I've had a similar experience for sure. I always used my system but started making significant upgrades in 2017. It took me a little longer to get through all the components than you but 2 turntables, 3 tonesrms, 3 cartridges, 4 ramps, new amps, new speakers and a digital front end that I rarely use, I have a system that literally stuns me every time I sit down in front of it. Even if it's a moderately crappy mono recording it still sounds amazing. The better the recording, the better it sounds and I just sit there with a big smile on my face.

Many good and valid points were made here. There's also the possibility that the speakers you upgraded to had progressively higher sensitivity ratings and thus sound better at lower volume. Also the treated room should have a lower noise floor as well.