Have you noticed as your system improves?

I have been working on making improvements to my system since 2021. (I got away from it for 10 years so the rig sat silent all that time and aged out) I have replaced my speakers twice in 2021 and 2024, my DAC, DDC, All the cables, speaker wire and PC’s. I added a streamer and ALSO the preamp/dsp processor is new. Just got a new amp in May. I have made upgrades to my wired internet access with switches, LPS and better cabling and Enos filter. I have an Audience Front Row Reserve USB cable on the way to complete that signal chain. The only thing not new is my CEC CD transport, it still works and sounds great. I have put a great deal of time and effort into my room acoustic treatments too.

So here’s the thing, and it’s been consistent once it all got settled and broken in. I don’t listen as loud as I did before all this or along the way. Not because it sounds worse but because it’s not necessary to hear deep into the recordings anymore. The resolution, PRAT, detail, soundstage is all there, and its really good. It’s a collective level of enhancements to achieve this. I want to preserve what hearing I have left, yet I am enjoying the music much more now, it simply just sounds better with out all the volume required before to hear what was going on. I used to have to turn it up to get it to sound good. Not anymore. Has this happed to you too?

128x128fthompson251

For sure. Especially if you are listening to music you know and love. You just don't really need 'loud' for most music to enjoy it. Most of my music plays at about 75 db on average and I don't feel I'm missing anything.

I agree with Paul McGowen who says music should be played appropriately loud.

There's a restriction of resolution when the volume knob is too low. Low volume acts like stepping on the brake pedal.

It's reasonable to play acoustic music at a natural volume level in order to sound 'real'. Isn't that what we're trying to achieve? Think how loud a single live violin player would sound standing in your living room or any live instrument. Trumpet? Clarinet? Piano? An acoustic trio would be WAY too loud? In a condo the neighbors would complain. 

A good system can/should play louder levels without fatigue and enhances the 'live' experience at appropriate levels for the genre being played. I'm not paying for an expensive system that can play music well at lower levels. Not an attribute for a live experience.

However, whatever works for you is good.

As my systems have improved over the decades this is exactly what has happened to me. My systems have become completely satisfying at lower volumes. Most of the time I now listen between 65 and 75db. 

Typically I go through an upgrade cycle about every seven to ten years. Typically it takes a couple years to upgrade… because of the intense research and breakin of components that is necessary between new components.