HAVE YOU ARRIVED AT YOUR FINAL SYSTEM AND WHAT’S IN IT? WHAT ARTIST IS YOUR GO TO?

My system is Infigo METHOD 4 DAC. METHOD 6 AMPLIFIER. GATO FM6 SPEAKERS. ALL INFIGO AUDIO CABLES. 2 REL 212SE SUBS. I LOVE LISTENING TO AHMAD JAMAL!

calvinj

@calvinj I hear you, that’s to bad. I have friends in the industry and they just stay away from these forums for that reason. 

@jacobsdad2000 fun in the hobby comes first for me. I totally understand. But the minute I can’t freely talk audio I’m out of it all. I enjoy it immensely. I’m listening right now. Lol.Not gonna let one person or situation steal my joy. I’m in this hobby cause I love it not because I have to make a living at it. I have lived a blessed life. I don’t have have to shill on forums. I just wanna learn and enjoy. 

I’ve spent 35 years trying to recreate any live Jerry Garcia performance in my living room that could imitate just some of the energy from the stage of whatever recording. Its always gotten better, every five years or so, and now I’m "there". Going sailing soon due to age, so some land based games and quests have to be called "good enough."

T+A DAC 200 >

McIntosh C500T>

McIntosh MC-601 Monoblocks >

B&W 802 D3 with each havng a REL Gibraltar G1 MKII behind it.

I enjoy the gear and hobby side quite a bit, built all my own cables, except the USB and Kimber Speaker cables.

Listen too all kinds of stuff, anything really except recent "op" music. Jambands I guess make up 60% of it.....Always digging through the "complete" Grateful Dead Library (every show ever recorded, including many soundboards. Almost every Widespread Panic show up to 2001. Since 2010 been on the Phish wagon due to their exceptional playing, writing, and their insane live sound (best I have ever heard). What they’[re doing these past couple of years live is off the freakin’ hook. Really digging Billy Strings, Gov’t Mule (and all the old Allman Brothers live shows). Older stuff, plenty of Reggae on weekends, Little Feat (love Lowell George)...just due to the exceptional sound quality I’ve rediscovered via HD FLAC and DSD I’ve been hoarding all the old remasters of blues and jazz artists, sort of a discovery process for me as there is so much material out there to dig into to. Next to actually cranking the system to "11" I just as much enjoy researching older recordings and then trying to find the best versions, loads of fun and there’s a group of friends who join in the search.

We don’t give a crap  about arguing about power cables and tubes, just friendly ribbing to step up the system!

Thanks for the bandwidth, remember is just all about fun!

Embrace the healing power of AND.

Cheap speakers AND expensive amps.

Eminent Technology LFT 8 speakers. Despite being in production since the last century and (glowing) reviews in Absolute Sound, Stereophile AND the Audiophiliac, the LFT 8 remains under the radar. The current version LFT 8 C for Charlie costs 4500 United States Dollars per pair. They need big power to wake them up and a big room to get them away from the walls in back so the sound waves can propagate in both directions. Properly set up the entire listening room becomes a sweet spot. 

For the technically inclined, the LFT 8 is a quasi ribbon planar speaker. The mids and tweeters are made of a metal conductor etched onto a mylar panel making more active surface area than an IRS V. These are mounted in a steel frame an inch thick AND there is no cabinet like NO cabinet. A lot of money is spent fighting the physics in a box speaker to make the box inert. If you do away with the box, you save that money while getting fabulous sound. There is no voodoo to planar speakers. It's just having the physics on your side. 

OK the LFT 8 is a hybrid with the bass driver housed in a box. A planar that would go that low would be too big. The coloration from the box doesn't seem to be as crucial in the bass. In fact the vibrations from the box are designed to be part of the sound so don't try to dampen the box.

HSU subs. Adding a sub makes the higher frequencies sound fuller. 

Manley Labs 500 monoblock tube amps. A good output transformer costs money. There is just no way around that. NBS Black cables cost more than the things on either end. I just shut my eyes as I write the check. 

There is a magical synergy between the LFT 8 speakers and the Manley amps and the NBS wires. You will be transported to the Musikverein and hear the Vienna Philharmonic in all its glory. 

The preamp is the discontinued Manley Wave. The CD player is the discontinued Nagra. The record player is the current Oracle 6 with Eminent Technology 2 arm and Benz Gullwing cartridge going into a discontinued Super Lumi phono stage. The tape player is the discontinued Studer A80. There's a discontinued Oppo for playing Blu Ray audio. And a current PS Audio transport and converter for playing SACD. A very up to date Nagra HD X and Taiko for streaming.

It's the System That Time Forgot. You don't have to be all new or all old. You don't have to be all expensive or all cheap. Use what works.  

Karl Richter's recording of Bach's Mass in B Minor. Richter recorded the Mass several times. I like the one with a picture of Christ on the cover but they're all good. Actually any recording by Karl Richter is good. But not to everyone's taste.

https://youtu.be/ShYiihooSa0?si=d7ZkSFSRipj-hHvh

Bob Dylan and The Band playing Blowin the Wind recorded live at the Fabulous Forum. Eat your heart out metal fans. This is the heaviest track ever.

https://youtu.be/Xgjhna90fSk?si=p9fnajtLVKMjP6sa

Glen and Willie Funny How Time Slips Away

Oh! The poignancy of Glen audibly fading away into Alzheimer's.

Alternate take

Just to see the look on those grizzled faces.

Sonny is the Colossus

One honk from this man and the rafters will shake.

Waiting to pounce on a used Esoteric K1X SACD player. Just to have the transport which is carved out of a single block of metal. 

Never.   This is like cocaine.   Always seeking a better high/sound.