Has anyone had eperience with the new sony xa5400e

Just wanted to see how many people have actually used this player and what were there thoughts on it
jonnyblaze
I bought the 5400 about 4 months ago, and I am very happy with it. I read every review I could find before I bought it. Many members have done a/b tests with the older models, including the scd -1 , and I cant find a single complaint about the 5400. In fact, it was said by all to exceed the previous sony models in sound quality. Considering people want nearly as much for 9000,s and more for the old scd-1 , I think its a hell of a deal. And it beats out the old players even with modifications. Its easy on the ears and does a good job.For the price, I dont think you can beat it. Cd sound can only go so far, if you want much more you might have to buy an old reel to reel. OUCH!. Don't hesitate to buy a 5400.

I've had the Sony XA5400ES about 7-8 months.
I've been using it with an Onkyo 876 HT receiver.
I used it for some months with a Cambridge 840W/840E combo
before selling the Cambridge.

The Sony has a problem starting discs from 00:00 unless you leave the disc tray open and press the "Play" button on the remote control. It skips a second of the program if the tray is closed when you press play.

The remote is cheap and, despite having plenty of free "real estate", they make the play button the same size as pause and stop.

Another thing I don't like is that you must press the power button before you can use any functions.
My previous (Sony) SACD player ($215) would power-up automatically when you press the "Tray Open" button, etc.

The sound is very dynamic (CD and SACD) and certainly does nothing "wrong", but does not have the "cut above" Blue-Ribbon sound I remember from my Rega Apollo/BAT 300X-SE system (lacks soundstage pecision and the feeling that you're getting 99.9% of what is on the disc. Musicallity also comes up short).

I'm doing my best to re-acquire the BAT and I'll give you an update when this happens.
I remember that long thread and rather enthusiastic reviews. I also remember thinking that it does not have a digital input, and that if I get another cd player I'd like it to serve as a DAC for my computer also. This may or may not be an issue for you.
Art