Has anybody tried Qobuz Streaming service?

Hi and thanks for reading!

Has anybody tried Qobuz and compared it to TIDAL? I read that Qobuz streams 24/196 files which may be higher than even TIDAL Master quality?? If you have made the switch to Qobuz, was it easy to integrate into your streaming system?

I look forward to hearing from people who have tried Qobuz and either loved it or disliked it compared to TIDAL.

grm
grm

Showing 3 responses by ejr1953

I GAVE UP ON QOBUZ!

I installed the Qobuz Windows app on a Windows10 Pro, quad core I7 machine with 16 gigs of memory.  This machine is only used for my audio system, when running Qobuz (or Tidal) it's the only app I have running on the machine, with the screen saver turned "off".  The PC is attached to my home network with an ethernet cable, and my Comcast service has about 185mb down, so from a connectivity perspective, I should be "good".

The whole time I used Qobuz (for about six weeks), I'd say only about 25% of the time did the app seem to work.  Typically, the app would be doing who-knows-what, consuming more than 75% of the cpu, not offering a pointer to select anything.  When I'd be able to select things, attempted to get a hi-res album to load, the play/pause control would be replaced with a spinning icon, most of the time never load the first track.  Sometimes when it would load the first track, it would play for a while, then either stop, or skip to the next track.

I tried accessing Qobuz via their web client, and using Roon, same result.

So, last night, I reached my limit and cancelled the service.

To be fair, when I'm streaming from Tidal, very occasionally it'll be playing a track, then stop, with the icon spinning, but this is VERY rare.

So, I think I'll stick with Tidal.
I had the Qobuz Windows app installed on a powerful Dell machine, and found it only functioned about 20% of the time, when it did, I enjoyed its selection of classical music and though I think the sound quality of MQA from Tidal vs. hi-res from Qobuz was a "toss up", some masters sounded fuller in MQA, some sounded "clearer" in hi-res, the app was so frustrating I cancelled my Qobuz account.

I recently purchased a Roon Nucleus Plus server, got my Roon core moved from the Dell to it, and signed up for Qobuz using it to stream, all frustration with Qobuz is "history".

I still would say the sound quality of Tidal MQA vs. Qobuz hi-res is a "toss up", both sound awesome.  I decided not to choose, subscribed to both services, now that my Nucleus streams without problems.
Earlier I posted that "I gave up on Qobuz", when I was attempting to use their Windows app.

I later purchased a Roon Nucleus Plus server and have Roon integrate my library of purchased music with my Tidal and Qobuz subscriptions, and with the Roon front end, my experience stream Qobuz is flawless.

I don't hear any real difference between the Tidal and Qobuz sound quality, if I had to pick one, maybe Qobuz would win out, by a nose.  As both services have the music I enjoy, I might drop one of them, probably Tidal.

The sound quality of the USB port on the Roon Nucleus Plus is awesome!