Handling Heavy Amps

There are several amps I’m interested in possibly purchasing but I’m dissuaded because of their weight. I’ve had lower back issues so I need to be careful. I live alone. Even if my wife was still alive she would not have been able to help much. Also Children live far. I see that many of you have these 60-100 pound behemoths and I wonder how do you manage. If I buy from my dealer he’ll load it in my SUV. However when I get home it will be difficult to get it out and onto the garage floor where I can place it on my handcart. Then when I get it next to my rack I need to maneuver it out of the box and up onto the rack. I guess I would need to see if my dealer would deliver it and place it on the rack. Probably for a fee. So that may work. But then if I need to paint, move furniture, resell the unit whatever I would need help. I think I can handle up to 40lbs. So how do you handle these amps? Is it a concern for you?  I’m spoiled by my Benchmark 12 lb AHB2. It’s also the reason I’ve been investigating Class D amps. 

jfrmusic

@bigboypete 

I’m sure my dealer can arrange a delivery and set up. Just concerned about latter issues when it needs to be moved. Would still like to be able to handle myself. 

I wish I could handle my mono blocks myself too...but I would only purchase the amp I liked best, regardless of weight...again, no need to move mine past 4 1/2 years - maybe this is unusual, but same holds true for audiophile friends and their amps...and it seems not difficult to hire someone to do if the need arises...

I pay my friend's son to put the amps into place on stands. They are on the second floor. Before he comes over, I make sure the boxes are open, the lights are on, the path to the stands is clear and all the cords are in place.  He sets them on the stands and I hook them up.

There are no dealers in town, so I have the UPS/FedEx guy put the amps inside my front foyer. Last time the amps were on a wooden pallet. The delivery guy took the boxes off the pallet and carted it away.  I gave him a tip.  It gets expensive.

A good hand truck and aluminum ramps go a long way. I have double doors in the basement so getting things down there, not too bad. My experience is (some will differ here), weight in the equipment=weight in the music. Had piano movers for my speakers. Where there’s a will...

@jfrmusic 

When my son was in college he used to scan on-line ads for help moving things.  Very surprising (to me) how many he answered and was paid well.  He would take buddies with him if it was furniture or larger items.

Put an ad in the local paper asking for help.  Put up a notice at the local sandwich shop where laborers frequent.

Regards,

barts

PS.  I have the same problem.