Half-Speed Masters - are they worth double dipping?

I have pretty much read all that being said online, what is your personal experiences with half-speed mastered records. I see a growing trend in lot of re-issues now being sold with half-speed mastering.

The two records I am interested in are,

Ed Sheeran’s X -10 Anniversary and Police - 30th Anniversary Greatest Hits. 

One good thing is, they are reasonably priced and under $50 :-)

128x128lalitk

@pindac

If the versions are the same, then the differences in sound quality are likely to be between the Skyanalog Cartridge, JMW tone arm, Allnic phono stage and the Eversolo A8 / May KTE DAC. You should be able to confirm by lining up a series of the same recordings in vinyl and streaming and verify a largely systematic difference in character.

My analog and digital ends sound the same. I chose them that way. I chose the DAC and phonostage from the same company (Audio Research) hence they are voiced the same and I chose the cartridge for its sonic character. While on the average they sound exactly the same, there remains a notable variation on the vinyl side, which I attribute to the mechanical wearing on masters used for pressing as the best pressings occur early and the poorest last before the brief life of a master is over.

“My analog and digital ends sound the same.”

@ghdprentice

That’s one of the reason I sold off my all ARC system - pre, dac and amp. Every source I’d tried, sounded the same and after a while listening became a chore! My current system (much credit goes to my Integrated) allows me to enjoy the distinct characteristics of upstream components and digital/analog cables. 

@ghdprentice  I'm not quite sure what your point is.  

1) Most contemporary vinyl sounds very similar to streaming the same version/release, but some percentage, call it 15-25%, sounds better.  I think the MoFi release of American Beauty falls into that better category.  The fact that most vinyl and streaming sound so very similar suggests the difference in sound quality isn't due to the differences in my analog and digital front ends.  Whenever I play a new record I stream at the same time and carefully level match and compare the digital and analog source and make notes about how they sound.  

2) Why on earth would you try to get your vinyl and digital systems to sound the same?  If you somehow achieved that why would you ever buy a record again?  

3) I have frequently experienced variation between different copies of exactly the same record and I agree it is likely because of where that particular copy was in the life of the master.  Frankly, it pisses me off and is a source of frustration when it comes to vinyl.  It is bad enough that a record may be warped or pressed with cheap vinyl or gotten scratched in handling but the idea that the quality changes for two copies of exactly the same record makes me crazy  .

pinwa

... Most contemporary vinyl sounds very similar to streaming the same version/release ...

That has been my experience as well.

Why on earth would you try to get your vinyl and digital systems to sound the same?

I don't think it's a goal as much as a natural consequence. After all, if the sound of an LP and its stream are very similar, the system should reveal that. When one is better than the other, the system should be able to reveal that as well.

@cleeds,

Generally speaking, Your impressions are very similar to my listening experiences as well when comparing both streaming and vinyl. The main difference to me is that when a half speed mastered produced album has been treated with all of the aforementioned attention to detail that makes it worthy of a standout album compared to others. Otherwise, the half speed master is just that, a half speed master. I have been purchasing the newer MOFI half speed masters off and on over the years and it seems hit or miss in terms of sound quality. Some sound flat sounding missing dynamic range, while others sound absolutely outstanding.

It is absolutely in the entire recording process and the quality of the source material. I purchased a Barnes and Noble special edition Queens greatest hits album that is absolutely stunning regarding its sound quality. It is not a half speed master album either. I also have a regular store bought Sade album from the 80s, thin vinyl, not half speed mastered, that is also stunning. These are standout albums compared to some of the half speed masters that I own.

I am also certain that the recording engineer may be part of that equation. To me, it appears that Quincy Jones produced albums almost always with great sound dynamics without any sense of compression, just pure music. Michael Jackson Thriller and Earth Wind and Fire are examples of normal albums with very good dynamics that Quincy Jones produced.