H E L P !! Network issues with Teac NT 505?

I have a Teac NT-505. It sounds very good when I can get it to work. The problem as I see it is too many handshakes have to be made by too many pieces over the network. Both hardware & software are involved. FWIW I'm trying to get the music from a HD on my  my computer in the office to the Teac in the LR

My library resides on a Hard drive of a computer which is in my office. I run Serviio as the server. I use BubbleUpNP on my tablet to control the system. I have a Linksys WRT 1900 acs router which is/was among their best. Though I have used computers for 30 yrs and stereos since I was a kid, I am not the best at troubleshooting network issues which is where I believe the problems take place due to too many handshakes necessary  between too much hardware and software. I am hoping to resolve the issue by direct connection of a HD of some description which will take the library off of the network. But I haven't tried that yet, mostly because I'm old and tired of dealing with issue after issue. Then too, even after I do that , IMO, there is no guarantee that will work and I am tired of experimenting with it. I bought the streamer/player/Dac  with the thought that it would be easier. But its been very exasperating instead.

MY other choice is to try another streamer, IE an Aurender which has the proprietary  HD and software. But then I will need a Dac which adds more expense which strains the budget of an old retired guy. I could use the Dac of the Teac but was hoping to sell it to help fund the Aurender, etc
Am I on the right track?  

128x128artemus_5

I suggest upgrading your WiFi to some type of mesh system that will allow you to have a node located near the Teac, this will allow you to then connect the 505 via Ethernet.

Thanks  I have an extender which has an Ethernet connection near the Teac.  I am only running Car 5 and have wondered if Cat 7 is needed. Also I have considered a better extender but Its a total guess..

Do you have the most recent firmware in the NT-505?

I have one in the far corner of my house connected to a wireless access point by cat6 and have no issues. No dropouts anyhow. Once in a while it won't play and I need to restart it. I have the other one connected directly to my router with cat8. No issues ever with that one. It could be something as simple as a bad cable.

@big_greg 

Do you have the most recent firmware in the NT-505?

I'm not sure. I think so but I don't remember. I may have done that in the original setup. As for the cable, it may be worthwhile to get a new Cat 7 or 8.

Also, the earlier problems were due to my poor vision and trying to use a cell phone. Way too small, so I got a tablet and that was a big help. But I still have drop out issues. And sometimes, I can't get it to play on the streamer . instead, it plays on the tablet and I can't seem to find the streamer on the network.  Hmmm. I think I answered the question. That would be due to a bad cable  wouldn't it? OK Cat 7 or 8 this eve. Whichever on the might have. I assume the 8 would be better than 7?

And BTW. I greatly appreciate your help from the very beginning. You have been very kind and patient.  I don't forget when someone is kind and helpful. Thanks again

I  am running the Teac nt-505 from ethernet with zero problems. Including streaming from Qobuz and Tidal, and playing files from my main home computer, through Minimserver and Lumin. I don't think you need another streamer. BTW, the Teac sounds very good, now, after a year of off-and-on use. Cable category is most probably not the issue. Or the exact firmware version.

I’ve got an NT505 that I previously ran cabled to router but now run cabled to WiFi extender far from router.

I use cat 7 always. When I switched from cat 6 to 7 I noticed many fewer drops (basically none thereafter ).

Whenever we have problems now it is almost always that my WiFi extender isn’t playing well with my router - eg, couple times had to get the WiFi extender recognized by router control app. But the Teac just works

Thanks guys. As you have said, it seems to be a  network issue. However I stream wirelessly to a Roku with no problems. It is right there within the system also.
But the Teac is not wireless but needs an ethernet cable. IF that cable is bad, then it would seem to cause the problem, wouldn't it? And wouldn't it also account for the times which I could not find or  connect to the Teac but instead the music played from the tablet, which is 10 ft from the Teac?

OK, so today i picked up a Cat 6 cable to try. I could not find a Cat 7 in town. So I will try the new cable tomorrow and also order a cat 7

So you are doing what I do: using a wifi extender that connects wirelessly to your router, and then running an ethernet cable from the extender to the Teac. I use Netgear routers and extenders, but they probably work similarly.

Usually, these wifi extenders create a new wifi network based off the original wifi network created by the router. So if the original wifi network name from the router is, let’s say, MainNetwork. Then the extended network created by the extender may be something like MainNetwork_ext, or MainNetwork2 or something like that (just to differentiate), but it will typically use the same wifi password as the original. You should try to connect your phone or tablet or other device to the extended network to be sure that the extender is producing a usable network, and even better connect a laptop to the ethernet cable out of the extender just to test that out. Then just be sure that whatever your are controlling the Teac with (phone or tablet) is using the extender wifi network, not the original (so in my hypothetical, make sure the phone or table is connected to wifi network MainNetwork_ext or MainNetwork2 or whatever it is called).

When the Teac is making connection to the network, the display flashes while it is connecting, but when it connects the display stops flashing.

Good luck.

If the extender is NOT producing a solid wifi extended network, you may need to re-pair it with the router, and possibly also establish or validate it with the router software (usually by logging in to a web page associated with your router). It can be a little confusing (the part I’m describing here), but all of this is related to your router/extender interface, and nothing to do with the Teac (the stuff I’m talking about in this post because that is what tripped me up any time I had issues with mine)

@kren0006

Thank you. That makes sense. I did see the .ext in the choices when resetting the Roku. So, if I am thinking right, the Teac is on the .ext network by default of the ethernet cable plugged into the extender. Connecting the tablet also to the .ext network will then put it on the "same" network. So it controls the Teac through the extender? Meanwhile, the the music comes wirelessly, to the extender and on to the Teac? Is that the path? Pardon so many questions.but i find that if I understand the pathway of how this works I can then better troubleshoot the problem

OH, BTW I connected the roku to the .ext and it ran good so I suspect there is a good signal. But again, thanks for the ideas and help

"So, if I am thinking right, the Teac is on the .ext network by default of the ethernet cable plugged into the extender." Correct.

"Connecting the tablet also to the .ext network will then put it on the "same" network." Yes, and that is necessary for it to work.

"So it controls the Teac through the extender?" It controls the Teac wirelessley via the extended network, yes, by sending control directions, if you will.

"Meanwhile, the the music comes wirelessly, to the extender and on to the Teac? Is that the path?" Well, first of all, the music does not come wirelessly from the tablet. The tablet only provides control functions, it doesn’t play into providing the music (unless you were using Bluetooth to send content (e.g., a YouTube video) from the tablet to the Teac but that is a separate discussion not relevant here as I understand it). So the music comes either from a streaming service (Tidal/Qobuz/Spotify etc) to your router and then wirelessly to your extender and then though the cable to the Teac, or from your stored music collection located on a hard drive somewhere in your house and via your network(s) in some fashion (combination of wired and wireless likely, eventually getting to your extender and through the ethernet cable to the Teac), but not through the tablet (tablet just for controlling functions).

That is my understanding anyway - if I’m wrong about any of that someone will correct hopefully

@kren0006

Well, first of all, the music does not come wirelessly from the tablet.

Yes, I realize that but apparently didn’t make that clear. Thanks for verifying the info. I will try this today. Last couple days have been hectic. I will also let everyone know the outcome

OK, Putting the tablet on the Ext network  was not successful. Couldn't find the library after doing so. But I did some research today on my computer in which the HD (library) is connected. I found that "media Streaming" was not turned on. (Didn't know about that option) So I turned that on. After doing so, it recognized the Teac, Bubble Up app (on the tablet)  among other pieces. I looked at the TP link manual but found no issues there. I'll try it in a bit. I have to do a little at a timem so I can cool down after each  failure Hopeful this will be the key that makes the streaming possible

@kren0006 & @big_greg  et al

SUCCESS!! It appears that turning on the "Media Streaming" in  Win 10

Settings/ Network & Internet/Ethernet/ Network & Sharing/ Media Sharing/Media Streaming Options/Media Streaming off/on.

Then Turn it on.

It then picks up all the connected media devices. By default they were all checked and I saw no reason to disable any one of them.

So Thank You all for your helping me to resolving this issue. I played it about 1 1/2 - 2 hours last night with no real issues to speak of. Now to get it broken in. I doubt it has over 15 hrs on it since I bought it last summer. But it sounded pretty good right out of the box

That's great news!  I hope you're able to spend a lot of time enjoying it now.

Looks like you got it fixed, but what I do is as follows.

1. Make sure you are connected to the same network. (Guest, extension, etc)

2. I use a Cat8 Cable.

3. Understand that some of the NT-505’s had some serious connection issues early on.  Mine did and it had to be repaired.

Once everything was done, I have great sound and easy connection.

Just my 2 cents

I am currently struggling how to get my Teac nt505 to connect to the network. All other functions are working fine except the network. The network connection was working before but somehow it stopped working two weeks ago. 
troubleshooting steps:

1. Power down to reset no good

2. replaced lan cables with different cat. 6/7/8 no good, this unit was using cat7 with no issue before

3. replaced mesh router no good but the mesh node is fine with other devices

4. Firmware is v1.3

5. I am using an ipad to control the app functions with no issue before. It looks like the unit is not on the network 

please help if possible 

I can’t update the network firmware simply because Teac hr streamer app requires the Teac unit on the network 

Could be the broken I/O board issue (if i recall - don’t quote me) discussed in the other NT505 thread. I actually thought yesterday I might be dealing with same thing.

Using wifi extender in second system far away from router, and then cat 7 from extender to NT505. Had worked mostly flawlessly for couple years but lately wasn’t connecting as well.

Used as opportunity to finally upgrade firmware (done via micro USB cable from PC directly - network not needed) to go from firmware version 1.21 to 1.30, current as of November 2021.

Then took the unit downstairs and directly connected to the router via same cat 7, and it worked, so I knew it must be my wifi extender.

Anyway, I had another extender, paired/linked that to the router, and now working again upstairs. But it feels a bit tenuous....... Always takes a bit to lock on and I’m never quite sure - have taken to leaving it on and hopefully connected all the time, see how it goes.

BTW I use the Lumin network app, not the Teac network app - as for me it is preferable. But all that said, I’ve gotten 3 years of great use out of the dac and still like it very much