Great Interview-

Another great  Rick Beato interview. However at 46 minutes in the discussion touches upon how high end home audio is a complete waste of money.

Whats interesting is ...Bonamassa has an incredible guitar and guitar amp collection worth millions...but he and Rick think that high end audio gear is a complete waste of money. Why do musicians look down upon high end audio gear ? I don't get it.

krelldog

I had a recording studio where I recorded bands in the Portland, OR area for about 10 years. I got to know a lot of musicians. Many if not most of them wanted to hear my big reference system but not a single one of them said, "Wow, how could I set up a nice system like that?" They thought it sounded good but it just didn't seem to register as something they were interested in owning. However, they really appreciated when I would introduce them to older music that was an obvious influence on what they were playing. The two best blues/rock guitar players I ever recorded had never listened to the Allman Brothers. Another excellent guitar player was clearly influenced by Joe Walsh but it turns out he had never listend to Walsh. I wish I could tell you that was unusual but it happened over and over again. But I digress.

An additional +1 @hilde45 . I've been to exactly one concert that sounded better than my stereo system. Grateful Dead at Missoula in the mid 70's. Crystal clear and not punishingly loud. Otherwise, a well recorded album sounds light years better than any live music event I have been to. And yes, I've been to several classical concerts. Maybe I just had bad seats or whatever but a well recorded classical album (either vinyl or digital) played through my system has much better fidelity to my ears. Blasphemy, I know.

I have always thought that Harry Pearson was right in looking for the absolute sound not in amplified sound from electronics but from the "sound of actual acoustic instruments playing in a real space." 

@kmcong The only time I fire up my music rig is if I’m going to sit and listen to music. Having music in the background is distracting because I’ll find myself stopped and listening to it. When the last road band I was in broke up and I got a job in a retail store playing Muzak, that was a problem. 😳

Agreed, tho, that I can’t imagine why every musician isn’t a lover of great sound  For most musicians I think budget is a factor  I’ve sat any number of musicians in front of my rig and their jaws drop  But none have pursued a system of their own  One noted jazz pianist says she spends so much time hearing and playing live music she’s not really interested in playback at home  She listens to recording mixes on her computer and wonders why I waste $$ on stereo gear.

In terms of what I’m looking for in playback, I’d say I want it to sound Real  If it’s a close-mic studio recording I like the impact of the final mastered mix; like the mix station is my AV room. If it’s recorded in a live space, I want to be in that space with the band/orchestra  Or put another way, either they are in my room or I’m in theirs  A great recording on a great sounding rig - It can happen…

@terry9 Bingo ! Musicians are listening to the performance. What I have been discussing all along. But I digress. Hi end audio can be enjoyed for many reasons, and I am accepting this, as more and more audiophile people are not listening to the performance, the musicianship, the composition. To each his/her own. My best, MrD.

We went to hear Joe many times in the early days- he was hauling his own gear in a rental box truck. He eventually morphed more into a hard rock act. I wish him continued success, but the blues based stuff was what attracted me.