Fosi V3 Mono Break-In

Been playing these amps since yesterday and am quite impressed, but not surprised as they replaced a V3 Integrated...curious about break-in as experienced by owners of these..I use a separate 48/5 power supply for each amp...a friend is putting the Sparkos op amps in his soon...

jl35

jasonbourne71

1,133 posts

Remarkable performance for not much money! Look out all you makers of four and five-figure amps!

Yep. Pass Labs, Audio Research, McIntosh, Boulder etc have been locked up in their situation rooms conducting emergency meetings discussing how to combat such a giant killer and survive this threat.

These amps are terrific. They've been on for 5 days, have played about 50 hours of music - and I"m convinced they do sound better than when new...I did like them cold out of the box, and I did not listen enough along the way so that I "adjusted" to their sound...

Not sure if they break in much, as I didn’t play my pair too long before swapping out the op amps to the Sparkos (two each in the XLR input).  I did notice an improvement when the op amps were replaced.

Funny, but I mentioned somewhere that the Fosi, with the Sparkos, had better resolution than pretty much any amp I have.  Not by much, mind you, but I noticed some subtle things in my test tracks that I’ve listened to hundreds of times.  And none of the test tracks sounded worse.

I’ve since added a pair of GaN power bricks (48volt/5 amp) and I feel that these made the background more black than with the 48 volt/5 amp power bricks that came with the Fosi.  I didn’t initially hear any difference, but after breaking in the new bricks for a few days, they seemed to sound better.  

Overall, though, the Fosi are quite incredible sounding amps.  They are currently driving a pair of Maggie 1.7i speakers.  

For reference, some of the other amps I have in home;  VTL MB185; Pass Aleph 2; Cary 805B; Marsh A400S; pair of Schiit Aegirs; and a few others.  

The Fosi’s do not make me want to swap in one of the other amps.  I initially got these because most of my other amps generate too much heat in my small listening room during the summer months.  

The Sparkos are your friend.

@audiodwebe 

I have a pair of the V3 Mono on the way to try with a set of LRS+.

What preamp are you using with them?

Currently a home made, not by me, passive pre with RCA just to start burn in. But will move stuff around and use  Schiit Freya S with XLR