For those of you who had spent over hundred thousand dollars for your sound system.

Do you think, in retrospect, that you could have gotten better sound quality out of your sound system with much less money spend. Do you have any regrets for spending huge amount of $$$? If you can start all over again, what would be different this time around? Let’s talk about electronics only and not room improvement for now. I know they go together, but the subject becomes very broad - assume your room is near perfect for sound reproduction.

P.S. Mike Levine, please don't shy away from the subject.  

128x128tannoy56

I have no regrets about the cost of my system valued at around $150k.  I worked my whole life to attain this level of system.  I regret listening to dealers who talked me into buying products that are not easy to sell if I want to try something else.  I have very large 300B mono amps that sound great.  However, I would like to try something else.  I do not believe in collecting equipment.  I sell components before buying new components.  In this case, my amps will be very hard to sell due to price and lack of brand recognition.  In that regard, I have made some mistakes in my journey but it is still pretty damn good.  My wife just keeps asking me....is this it?  I smile and say probably not.  

I think it would be a blast to start over.  I would keep my Lampi Horizon and Lucas Audio MS but get different Amps and Speakers. 

Hi @willgolf,

in no way am I at all questioning your desire to try something new and different. I just assumed that your big Canary mono blocks snd Viking speakers paired produced marvelous sound quality. Best of luck,

Charles

Nothing has really changed in my perspecitve from my very first foray into high-end to now. It is very important to audition equipment/speakers before purchasing. Then, purchase what sounds good to you! I feel it is a "progressive" hobby. In my early days, I thought my Mac system with ESS AMT !’s and ESS Translinear speakers were to die for!!! Then, I heard Quad ESL’s with a Quad pre and Audio Research tube amp and Linn Sondek LP-12 .  OMG...I sold my entire system to purchase the same set-up!!!  And, it goes on and on and on! Even though I have pretty expensive gear today, I often think about how good my Quad ESL set-up sounded.

@liquidsound

My condolences! Wow, that has got to be rough… you only live once.

I have been lucky. My significant other (of 36 years), likes to heckle me about my audio addiction.. but she also recognizes that on average I worked 70+ hours a week over the last 30+ years and taken care of her (she is diabled)… so, she really lets me do what I want (as long as she gets a new component for her home theater before I get a new component, of course).

@wfowenmd  “My only regret will be realized if on the occasion of death, my wife of 40+ years sells my equipment at the prices I claimed to have paid for my system.”

LOL!LOL!LOL!

Time to prepare your solemn “only open after my death” letter!