For ARC lovers, Problems?

I had a ref 6 which I liked a lot and had no problems with. I upgraded to the ref 10 which sounded appreciably better but I ended up with a number of problems that I could no longer tolerate. I have a new pre which is very good but is not nearly as exciting as the audio research sound.
From your experience with Audio Research is this a good idea going back to the ref 6 with the hope of upgrading it to the SE? Or will I regret it due to reliability issues? There are pages on Audiogon concerning ARC reliability issues and I don't want to jump feet first into another expensive audio quicksand.
Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

roxy1927

Showing 1 response by jrw1971

I own several ARC pieces, and just recently sold a REF40.  The main stuff is all current REF SE series, except for the 160S.  Now, the 160S uses fuses to protect the resistors/tubes (I think), and I have blown two fuses over the last year, for reasons unknown.  I don’t ever listen above 90 dB, and rarely above 81-82.  Service has been great both times, and it’s a cheap, easy swap.  And they get credit for having tube health indicators now, without which I never would have known of the [inaudible] problem.  Nonetheless, those were annoying episodes.  OP, the REF 6SE has been a rock solid, very high performer.