First Streamer...

Hi,

I'm planning to buy my first streamer.

Honestly, I have no idea which brand of streamer to purchase and would welcome suggestions.

I'd like to use my android phone to select material which will be played through a Audio Research VSi60 amp and homemade Zaph Audio ZRT Revelator speakers.   My CD player ( a Rega Saturn) has  a DAC which could be used for streaming.

Any suggestions?   

I'm looking to stream TIDAL using Verizon's Fios service  and spend under $2000.

johndyson

In One of my setups, I use the LGV60 phone.  You can pick one up for < $300 on ebay.

It has a very good DAC in it as well bluetooth which can transmit in LDAC and/or aptX HD.

You can run all the streamer apps on it.

It is one of the best options for less than $300.

Thanks for a lot of help.  I didn't buy a streamer yet, but I note that the Bluesound Node is most recommended.

I guess I'm on catch-up with streaming, perhaps because I've got kids home or perhaps because I've been playing saxophone recently.      

My current plan is to use the DAC in the Rega CD player.   Run 100' of CAT8 cable from the upstairs FIOS box to the (as yet) un-purchased streamer and Kimber DV30 coax from the streamer to the Rega DAC.

One problem with this setup is that my amp will still have to warm up before I can stream.   But,  I don’t see  myself moving away from my old Audio Research valve amp which still sounds real  good.    

I play alto.  I live in Brooklyn, NY and have been taking lessons with Matt Marantz and joined a rehearsal band at the New York Jazz Academy.