Favorite Christmas Music and Movie 2010

I figured I'd beat Wal-Mart at getting the holidays rolling!

Your choices do not have to be new (and probably are not).

My favorite is Vince Guaraldi- A Charlie Brown Christmas

Got it on my iPod, SACD, and 45RPM Vinyl. Crazy, I know.

Movies I like are Christmas Vacation and Home Alone (great soundtrack too!).

Flame away!

Ho Ho Ho!!!
128x128srwooten
"It's Christmas, Charlie Brown!!!!" Love your pick! I'm with you! ;)

Music: "Christmas Collection" by Louis Armstrong & Friends
Movie: "Elf" starring Will Ferrell and directed by Jon Favreau

I like the part when Will Ferrell and Zooey Deschanel sing "Baby, It's Cold Outside".
I seem to buy up several Christmas discs every year and always end up preferring the classics, Burl Ives etc.

For movies Elf, Badder Santa (need an adult one!) and Christmas Vacation are my top picks.
Leon Redbone's Christmas Album. His version of White Christmas makes Bing sound hyper, (well sorta). And Christmas Island is just fantastic.
My other fav is John Prine's Christmas Album.

wait a minute: you are starting way too early.

Woody
"Ella Wishes You a Swinging Christmas" is my all time fave.Also bluesman Chales Brown came out with a killer CD in late 90's "CB's Cool Christmas Blues".
Chazz
The McGarrigle Christmas Hour - includes McGarrgile and Wainwright family, along with Emmylou Harris
I absolutely LOVE the Guaraldi record, but my two favorite Christmas songs are very sharp lyrical observations of family bonds and tensions at holiday time:

"The Christians and The Pagans" by Dar Williams
"Merry Christmas From The Family" by Robert Earl Keen

Neither is "in the holiday spirit" in the tradional sense, but both -IMHO- are fabulous examples of the lyricist's craft.

Disclaimer: These are the musical Christmass preferences of a Jewish listener who never celebrated the holiday in any meaningful way. I do love this stuff because holiday family gatherings are a commonly held experience for most people, but my perspective may be somewhat different than most.

Marty

PS I find the Dar Williams song really moving and the RE Keen song absolutely hilarious.
Obviously The Nutcracker.

Of compositions from composers still alive today my favorite is this

Howard Blake is the composer. I have the sheet music. Awesome stuff. Reminds of Mozart - simple yet sublime.