Ethernet Switch- what's the point?

I run an Ethernet cable between my router (standard issue from Verizon) and my streaming transport. I note that some use an ethernet switch between between the router and streamer. Assuming I got that right, what is the point- what does a good switch do? I've been into audio since the 70's but when its comes to streaming, I'm definitely a newbie- 

Thanks all!

128x128zavato

Many or most people need a switch to run other equipment.  A switch is what the ethernet needs to split a signal.  If you want to run ethernet to 2 peices of equipment, use a switch.  I have other ethernet cables running to my Roon Core, TV, AV receiver, and power plant.  

Now "audiophile" ethernet switches are designed to improve delivery of error free bits to the streamer by use of improved power supplies, grounding, shielding, clocking, and other methods. So some people will want to put the switch in even if they don't need cables to other components.

jerry

The type of switch usually talked about with regard to streaming is one that allows the musical bits through but not the electronic noise that comes along through your wifi system (cable into your home and wifi router).  Some switches offer galvanic isolation, others turn the electronic signal into light transmitted by Toslink cable.  The diehards use several of each kind of switch to get best results.

I'm sure someone who knows much more than me will chime in, but that's my basic understanding of what's going on.

Not really needed, but it can be a convenience feature. I have the Roon streamer, TV, Roku, etc. all 50’ away from my router, so the switch lets me run 1 cable (in-wall in this case) and hook up all my devices.

You'll never be able to convince me that an audiophile switch is worth it, but I do use an Ethernet isolator to reduce the chances of surges and induced noise.

https://amzn.to/42B5SCZ