Ethernet Cables - what are you using and why?

Curious about what everyone is doing for their streaming systems in terms of Ethernet cables. I know some people who swear by expensive models, but anecdotally it seems that folks care a lot less about Ethernet than they do about interconnects, AC, or even USB cables. 

I'm a believer but at the moment run a relatively affordable model that I might be looking to upgrade. Let's hear your thoughts.

tubeguy80

@pinthrift Interesting and thanks for sharing and just reinforces the other positive feedback on the value/performance of DH Labs cables.  BTW, how do you like the BAACH system?  Do you just use the Mac version?

Hi soix...

I've had the Bacch Lab Plug-in download since last August.  Do a search for the plug-in.  I'm Windows based here in Maine.

Sadly, the price has been bumped up to a serious price for many now.  It was under $300 last summer, doable for many music lovers having more moderate systems.  I'm hoping popularity or competition will pull the price back to a more universal reach.

I'm running Windows 10 with the Foobar Music Player.  Mike, my skillful Music Computer Tech, onboards the technical stuff for me, remotely.  I'm age 78 (next week) and we collaborate nicely with finely tuned DSP, to a 100th of a decibel.  Mike has longtime, deep experience, enough to have earlier applied crosstalk removal with results similar to the BACCH.  He defined my interest in the BACCH as a "no-brainer" decision.  

Here in my small-dedicated sound studio, the BACCH experience has been revelatory.  As a highly impassioned music lover now having experience with the BACCH over many sweet-spot hours, I would not be without it.  I find more minimalist, purely miked recordings respond best, large to small, from Mahler to solo vocals and instruments.  I posted some early findings in our GoN Forum found in my history.  Purity of tone "timber" is my most vital chase in recreated sound, where the BACCH continues to impress most, followed closely by a larger, more holographic, yet natural stage, maintaining lovely center fill.    

I've read of complaints that busily produced studio albums can sound different.  Well, who really knows their intent?  I find them more interesting.  Last I saw, there is a two-week free-trial of the BACCH Plug-in.  With a computer and some Tech assistance, worth the time.      Best, Pin      

I just received my BJC Ethernet cable, running from my router to my Aurender N150. Someone on this thread (or another) stated Ethernet cables with metal on their connectors (per Aurender) could cause distortion. My old CAT 8 had metal. With the move to BJC, my N150 sounds noticeably cleaner. Thank you!

Dude, just get some Cat6a from Monoprice. These folks recommending all these high priced snake oil ethernet cables are steering you wrong.

@carlsbad2

@tonywinga

+1 ….re: silver over copper…agreed gents!

@squared80

I have no doubt that you fail to generate an audio performance upgrade in YOUR system (emphasis added) with premium quality build Ethernet cable options …fine …carry on.
But you are patently dead wrong to engender that same misguided blanket bias as any gospel to the cohort of us with high-end resolution systems, who do enjoy that step-up in performance .that is not insignificant…full stop

@ghdprentice :+1

I agree with his posted experiences that the audio step-up improvements can be somewhat more subtle, than comparing comparatively crap and cheap build budget analogue and power cables to their premium build and step-up audio performance options,… but nevertheless, these Ethernet cable audio improvements are distinct.