Esoteric Amps with Revel Salon 2 Speakers

Would low watt Esoteric power amps work well with Revel Salon 2 speakers.  I keep reading the Salon 2s need a lot of power.  However, the dealer says "current" is clarity are more important.  Does anyone have an opinion on this?  Thanks.

gregrolka

I believe the Esoteric F 01 and F 05 are class A amps.  You need to know the amount of current they can put out.

I’ve owned both the Salon 1 and Salon 2 speakers. I currently own Salon 2 speakers. The Salon 2 speakers are notoriously inefficient, so they need lots of high power, current, and damping factor, capable of opening them up and controlling their bass drivers with a vise-grip, if you want to get the best out of them. In my smaller room, my Hegel H590 (300/600wpc) beautifully drives my Salon 2s, because it has the required amount of power and current to drive them effectively. In my smaller room, the Hegel H590 is wonderfully sufficient. If I were in a larger room, I’d go with even more power of at least 400/600wpc. With the Salon 2 speakers, the more power and current you bring to the table, the better. You get the idea. So, I would strongly advise against you going with lower powered amplification to drive your Salon 2 speakers. Even if the low power amp is high current, it’s still not enough, as you will need at least 300 or 400wpc of high current amplification in order the drive the Salon 2 speakers with authority. By driving your Salon 2 speakers with low powered amplification, you’re actually short-changing their ability to perform at their greatest capabilities, with deep, tight bass. Happy listening.

I would look at Hegel or Pass Labs. Have you asked your dealer if you can do some "in home" auditioning over a weekend?  That would, by far, the best option.

It is surprising what the right amp can do with just 1-2 watts. I still recommend the try before you buy scenario.