End of a long quest to vanquish sibilance.

As some of you are aware, I’ve spent nearly two years attempting to root out this annoyance, along with fatigue, from my modest system. No one knows just how frustrating this has been more than the handful of forum members who’ve provided numerous suggestions and insights along the way. You gentlemen know who you are and I’d like to thank you again for your ongoing generosity and camaraderie. Eliminating the source of fatigue (DAC) proved easier than the sibilance.

Having swapped out everything except speakers, with no impact on sibilance, I identified a pair of monitors that 1) I could afford, 2) are universally praised and 3) come with a refund policy. I figured this was the only thing left to try, aside from power conditioning.

When the new speakers arrived, I noticed they were a bit taller than my Silverlines so in an effort to compensate for the difference in tweeter height relative to my ears when seated, I removed the concrete pavers under my speaker stands. These are clearly visible on my virtual systems page.

When the new speakers were hooked up, I pressed "play" on my Jay’s transport remote and was immediately shocked. The sibilance was gone! I put the Silverlines back onto the stands and the sibilance was still absent. That was about two months ago and the sibilance demon has yet to reappear. Although I preferred the sound of the Silverlines and returned the other speakers, if it hadn’t been for them, I wouldn’t likely have solved this problem.

Perhaps my experience will help someone else. I was familiar with the maxim "everything matters" but I still failed to consider one "thing" that was sitting in plain sight the whole time I was tearing my hair out.

So, I will reiterate : "Everything matters" actually does mean every thing!

stuartk

@stringreen 

I experimented with toe-in as well as raising lower speaker and listening chair heights. While these experiments did affect sound-staging and tonality, I perceived no effect on sibilance. 

With the pavers out of the equation,using my original speakers, there is no sibilance and the highs are definitely not harsh -- that is one thing I cannot tolerate. 

@prof 

FYI, I did try an EQ. 

Again, get them to the same spot/height/tilt/incline/distance/etc. with and without the pavers to see if that's really what's doing it.

I'm thinking that few here actually believe that the material differences of the ceramic clay as opposed to ??? is the cause of sibilance.

cool. Thanks for the further details.

I’m glad you found your solution.

Coincidentally, I spent a long time experimenting

With various heights and materials underneath my

When making a platform for them to stand on.

Changing the height and the materials underneath the speakers

Certainly changed the tone of the speakers.  So I ended up finding
A height and combination of materials that gave me exactly the tone I was looking for.

@toddalin 

I'm thinking that few here actually believe that the material differences of the ceramic clay as opposed to ??? is the cause of sibilance.

Having swapped out everything else with no change, the sibilance disappeared when the pavers were removed. I'm not an engineer so I can't definitively prove there is a causal relationship. All I can do is report what I've observed to the best of my ability.

@prof 

Thanks! 

"All I can do is report what I’ve observed to the best of my ability."

Then I would say make a YouTube video both ways so one can instantaneously evaluate the difference in real time. Then you can actually demonstrate this phenomenon for all to hear and remove any doubt. A YouTube video easily has the ability to demonstrate sibilance.

This is something else I do, even if the videos are just for my own use.

As far as I can tell, there is no real way that anyone could do an instantaneous back and forth comparison any other way. Granted, people will not hear exactly what you hear in the room because they are hearing it over different monitors in different environments. But sibilance, or a lack thereof, will be clearly evident over most any system of any quality.

I’m not an engineer either. But I am a scientist.